Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Setting offset on GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting offset on GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AussieLakerFan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Setting offset on GPS Reply with quote

G'day,

I am a newbie, so please go light... I have had a look around the forums trying to find some info regarding placing a positional offset on my GPS, but have had no luck.

I have a Palm LifeDrive running TomTom Navigator 5.21 and have a BT-77 Bluetooth GPS reciever. Everything works fine, I was told what NMEA input that TomTom likes;

Some Guy wrote:

Tomtom expects.

Default: NMEA-0183 (V3.01) – GGA(1), GSA(5),
GSV(5), RMC(1),VTG(1),Band rate 9600 bps,
Data bit : 8, stop bit : 1(Default)

I have set up my BT-77 to reflect this and like I said, I have no problems.

However, I think it is a little slow on giving it's warnings for turns, etc. so I would like to give it an offest to make it think that I am about 5-10 meters ahead of where I actually am.

Does anyone know who you can go about doing this????[/b]
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the slowness is either due to a slow processor or a slow card. With TT it is much quicker if you hide all POIs - if they are on the screen it uses a large amount of memory. You can still get warnings of them and navigate to them.

I do not see how you can solve this the way you want. Any "offset" will be in one direction only, say 10m North, and will only do what you want when you are travelling South. When you are travelling North it will make the problem worse. When you are travelling East or West it will probably make no difference because TT will "snap" back to the same position on the road, or if you are in a built up area will "snap" to an adjacent road.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
AussieLakerFan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Any "offset" will be in one direction only, say 10m North, and will only do what you want when you are travelling South. When you are travelling North it will make the problem worse. When you are travelling East or West it will probably make no difference because TT will "snap" back to the same position on the road, or if you are in a built up area will "snap" to an adjacent road.

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Thanks anyway mate. I did turn the POI's off and I think it has made the map refreshes a little quicker, but negligible...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: