Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Linking maps together
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Linking maps together
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Linking maps together Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is going to sound like a complete newbie question - and it probably is.

I have TTM5 and v6.32 of the GB Plus map. As I undestand it, this means that if I bought the French and Italian Plus maps, for example, and had all 3 on my memory card - then TTM would be able to get me from London to Milan in one continous journey.

Is this correct ?

If so, are the maps available from the Plus service on the TomTom website the Plus version of the maps ?

Regards,

Adam Brunt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the PLUS maps contain the major roads of Europe, so assuming you can find the nearest main road from your departure point (quite easy as its normaly where you live or work) just the Italy Plus map is required to get you from your front door to destination in one hit.

OK so you don't get street level mapping through the UK but you don't / shouldn't need it, get to the port as fast as possible (Major roads / motorways will be on the Italy PLUS map), for the transit through France stick to the main roads and you will be OK with the same map Major roads will be on the Italy map.

When you get to Italy this is where you need the street level mapping, and it will be available without switching maps, simply use the extra level of detail - Mike
a1gjv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing on from the last poster I have a similar problem.

I use TomTom Mobile 5 on my Sonny Erricson p910i phone with the GB French and Spanish maps all on one 1 gig memory card. The problem comes for me when I go from Spain into France I have to stop and load the French map even though I have input my start and finish places.

Is there a way to change or intergrate this mapping so that I do not have to load other country maps when I cross borders it is a smooth transition from country to country.
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a1gjv wrote:

I use TomTom Mobile 5 on my Sonny Erricson p910i phone with the GB French and Spanish maps all on one 1 gig memory card. The problem comes for me when I go from Spain into France I have to stop and load the French map even though I have input my start and finish places.

Is there a way to change or intergrate this mapping so that I do not have to load other country maps when I cross borders it is a smooth transition from country to country.

ah - I was assuming TT did this automatically ??

it kind of defeats of the object of having two maps on the same memory if TT can't seemless go between them.
a1gjv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamBrunt wrote:
a1gjv wrote:

ah - I was assuming TT did this automatically ??

it kind of defeats of the object of having two maps on the same memory if TT can't seemless go between them.

According to my son who originaly have the phone he said you had to swap from 1 to the other, I must admit I have not crossed any goarder yet to try it out so perhaps I am jumping the gun a bit when I say it don't work.

Can anybody confirm one way or the other.
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use western europe v606 taken from my old tt go 700 the whole of europe without changing cards?? you need a 2 gig card .....you can get these from tomtom its cheaper than buying a go 700 just for the maps Wink Wink
a1gjv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamf wrote:
i use western europe v606 taken from my old tt go 700 the whole of europe without changing cards?? you need a 2 gig card .....you can get these from tomtom its cheaper than buying a go 700 just for the maps Wink Wink

Thank you for your reply but unfortunatly it does not answer my question.

I have a 1 gig card with my TomTom mobile 5 with the following maps on France, Spain and Great Britian and I have just tried to plan a route from Girona Spain to Paris but because I did not have the french map loaded I could not do this.

The only way this journey could be planned was to do it in 2 stages Girons to the Spanish boarder with the Spanish map the change maps to the French one and then do the boarder to Paris.

Having to do this rather defeats to object of having a GPS navigation.

So is anybody can tell me how to overcome this problem I would be most greatful
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only have the single country map loaded then you can only plan the trip as far as a border crossing, switch maps and continue.
What you need is a "Plus" map installed. the Plus version contains the applicable country mapped at street level PLUS the Major Roads of Western Europe, whith any Plus map you can navigate accross Europe. - Mike
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Any of the PLUS maps contain the major roads of Europe, so assuming you can find the nearest main road from your departure point (quite easy as its normaly where you live or work) just the Italy Plus map is required to get you from your front door to destination in one hit.

OK so you don't get street level mapping through the UK but you don't / shouldn't need it, get to the port as fast as possible (Major roads / motorways will be on the Italy PLUS map), for the transit through France stick to the main roads and you will be OK with the same map Major roads will be on the Italy map.

When you get to Italy this is where you need the street level mapping, and it will be available without switching maps, simply use the extra level of detail - Mike

Ok, so if I have the GB plus map already then to get anywhere in Europe without reloading maps I just need the GB+ and all the relevant normal maps on the same memory card ??

Or would I need all my map files to be the Plus version ?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need only the 1 Plus Map.

If your Destination is in Italy, you would be best off with the Italy_Plus Map.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
a1gjv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if any on the replies here are directed at me regarding my problem of cross boarder navigation. Therefore I will ask another question, will the GB+ map go on a 1gig memory card on my TomTom mobile 5 on my phone or will I have to get a larger card, and if so where can I get this map from please, also does this map contain speed camera info as well.
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

Confused

If my destination is in Italy, what's the difference between having the GB+ & Italy maps compared to having the GB & Italy+ maps ?? Unless I am missing something, these would have the same coverage wouldn't they ??
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a1gjv wrote:
I am not sure if any on the replies here are directed at me regarding my problem of cross boarder navigation. Therefore I will ask another question, will the GB+ map go on a 1gig memory card on my TomTom mobile 5 on my phone or will I have to get a larger card

I have TTM5 and GB+ map sitting quite happily on my 1GB memory card. It also had the normal GB map on it as well at one point.

By my reckoning (not sure how much bigger GB+ is compared to GB) according to http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/mds.php you should be able to get TTM5, GB map, France map and Italy map on a 1GB card
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamBrunt wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

Confused

If my destination is in Italy, what's the difference between having the GB+ & Italy maps compared to having the GB & Italy+ maps ?? Unless I am missing something, these would have the same coverage wouldn't they ??

To answer my own question ....

According to http://www.tomtom.com/support/category.php?ID=2&Language=1&FID=3393&TT=:

Quote:

When you are travelling out of your region we advise you to use the cross-border navigation map of your destination country. This allows you to enter the exact address of your destination.

However, if you do not have the cross-border navigation map of your destination region, you can use the cross-border navigation map of the country where you start your journey. This allows you to use a highly detailed map at the beginning of your trip. Enter the address of your destination in the normal way. However, you may not be able to enter the exact address ...

Which implies that even with two maps on the SD (one of which is a + map) you can not plan a route from start to finish across countries. You can only do main road to finish or start to main road

And so, whilst I can can see you would want the + map of the destination country it is still a bit Crying or Very sad
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, are all the maps on TomTom's website Plus maps ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: