Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new or old tomtom ONE?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new or old tomtom ONE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: new or old tomtom ONE? Reply with quote

hey all, been reading the forum a couple weeks and now ready to get my first gps. I was looking at the TTONE but now a replacement is coming I cant decide which to get!

I read the couple of reviews around at moment, but hasnt mentioned my only concern really, thats the downgrading of the processor. What effect does this have on the unit, will it process stuff slower resulting in you missing turns? or slower to recalculate routes etc?

I am leaning to old ttONE for the headphone socket, faster processor and its a bit more robust. The only highlights I can see of new ttONE is nicer design, better mount and maybe more uptodate??

Any advice?
adambaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: new or old tomtom ONE? Reply with quote

kingkano wrote:

I am leaning to old ttONE for the headphone socket.
Any advice?

The new tomtom ONE has a headphone socket too.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: new or old tomtom ONE? Reply with quote

kingkano wrote:
hey all, been reading the forum a couple weeks and now ready to get my first gps. I was looking at the TTONE but now a replacement is coming I cant decide which to get!

I read the couple of reviews around at moment, but hasnt mentioned my only concern really, thats the downgrading of the processor. What effect does this have on the unit, will it process stuff slower resulting in you missing turns? or slower to recalculate routes etc?

I am leaning to old ttONE for the headphone socket, faster processor and its a bit more robust. The only highlights I can see of new ttONE is nicer design, better mount and maybe more uptodate??

Any advice?

Well I've got a tt300 which has I suspect has a slower processor than the new One given its two years older, and it keeps up with movements in real time, I have never missed a turning because its been behind and never heard any criticism of it for being slow. Comparing it with a friends 700 which has a faster processor, the 700 seemed slower for some things (inbuilt disk being the issue I suspect)

IMHO getting worried about CPU speed on these units is like people who only use their PC's to write a few letters and send email, but buy the latest 3MHz dual processor systems. Its a nice marketing ploy for the PC vendors as they'll have loads of people buying them just because they are 'faster',and the same seems to be happening here as you are not the first to ask this Q.
On a most simplistic level, if it can't keep up with where you are its unfit for purpose and you can return it for a full refund.

Also, how do you know the old one is more 'robust' ? I dont recall TT literature saying anything about the robustness of their units.

If it was me I'd get the latest one purely because it would have the latest maps, I think you've forgotten the basic purpose of the device, routefinding, for which later maps must surely trump a headphone socket!!

Tw
kingkano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adambaz - where are you basing your information from? I thought the review of the unit from this own site says there is no headphone socket??

hmmmm some good points tumbleweed - thanks for a post that makes me think!!

I guess I picked on processor because it seems obvious the downgrade is how they lowered the price?? But it seemed quite alot so not knowing how these things worked, just wanted to make sure its ok.

The point about the maps is a very good one. But cant you get the latest maps on the older unit as well?? the missing headphone socket does seem a bit remiss to me though.... a car full of people who want to listen to music but you need the satnav, surely a headphone is the way to go??

The robustness, sorry thats just my own personal observation. I just thought the extra casing around the old ONE gives a bit more protection, but I suppose there is no reason why this would be the case. My own bad psychology Laughing Out Loud.

Needs more thought then. Might have to see one in the flesh first. cheers.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkano wrote:

I guess I picked on processor because it seems obvious the downgrade is how they lowered the price?? But it seemed quite alot so not knowing how these things worked, just wanted to make sure its ok.

The point about the maps is a very good one. But cant you get the latest maps on the older unit as well?? the missing headphone socket does seem a bit remiss to me though.... a car full of people who want to listen to music but you need the satnav, surely a headphone is the way to go??

The robustness, sorry thats just my own personal observation. I just thought the extra casing around the old ONE gives a bit more protection, but I suppose there is no reason why this would be the case. My own bad psychology Laughing Out Loud.

K, you can get the latest maps .....at an extra price, probably £50-£75 when announced (judging by Euro ones being £100).
A substantial hike on the price of the unit.

re a bit more protection ...from what? :-) !

personally, I wouldnt want to be driving with a pair of headphones on (I think thats illegal?), or just one earphone in, for a tricky junction I'd just turn the volume down, you get plenty of advanced notice.

Tw

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: