Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Un Locking MapSource
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Un Locking MapSource

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimob23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Un Locking MapSource Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
I have a version V6 of Mapsource with unlocked maps for the UK and Europe that I use for my Quest .Just recently I had a call from a friend asking if he could use my PC to change the maps stored on his Garmin as his PC had crashed.
No problem to me but did express my doubts it could be done as it was only un locked for my unit but he assured me it would work .
Set up the maps he wanted to load clicked on the transfer to unit button and away it went .About half way through the process a box popped up with the notation ‘Some of the maps selected have not been unlocked for your unit ‘do you want to continue with option Yes or No .Clicked on yes and transfer continued until the box Transfer successful came up and all was done .
I checked that the transfer had been done by reversing the process and all the maps he had selected were shown on the mapsource .Also did some checks in finding address and all seemed to be in order .
I was understood that mapsource need to be unlocked for each unit to be able to transfer and would like clarification if I am correct in my thinking .

Thanks
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you carry out any tests on his Garmin? He may find he only has use of the base-map?
jimob23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes did all that and from the last time I talked to him all was working 100% with no problems so am still a bit confused as to how it came about
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the v6 maps even work on the i3? I thought they had to be NT maps. Are you sure you actually transferred maps to his unit and that they weren't there alread. Confused
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapSource is never locked, it is a free software method of using CitySelect/MetroGuide/CityNavigator on the PC.

Your v6, what is it? [CitySelect/MetroGuide/CityNavigator or just MapSource]---The maps are not MapSource!!

You can load some CitySelect versions and view it in MapSource, but it will not work in a Garmin Unit until you unlock it to a unit [or two].

Your unit is unlocked to your maps, his was already unlocked to his maps so perhaps this enabled a transfer!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: