Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEWBIE>Bluetooth Seriel port on COM8 NOT Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEWBIE>Bluetooth Seriel port on COM8 NOT Available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saltydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: NEWBIE>Bluetooth Seriel port on COM8 NOT Available Reply with quote

Hi, I just bought TOMTOM Navigator 2 Bluetooth for my IPAC 5450. After
creating a paired connection with the GPS I started TTN, when I go to the section where you can select the driver and port to use I only see seriel on com1 and seriel on com6. I know that the bluetooth configuration shows me incomming com5 and outgoing com8 and I have to select com8 but it is not available in the drop-down list. What Gives?
the ipac was upgraded from pocketpc 2002 to 2003
Your help is much appreciated
Saltydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE>Bluetooth Seriel port on COM8 [b]NOT[/b] Avail Reply with quote

Saltydog wrote:
Hi, I just bought TOMTOM Navigator 2 Bluetooth for my IPAC 5450. After
creating a paired connection with the GPS I started TTN, when I go to the section where you can select the driver and port to use I only see seriel on com1 and seriel on com6. I know that the bluetooth configuration shows me incomming com5 and outgoing com8 and I have to select com8 but it is not available in the drop-down list. What Gives?
the ipac was upgraded from pocketpc 2002 to 2003
Your help is much appreciated

I forgot the mention that I have upgraded WIFI and Bluetooth to the latest firmware/drivers.
Saltydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks !!!!! Reply with quote

26 views and NO Reply on Bluetooth Seriel port on COM8 NOT Available Sad Sad Sad Sad
Thank You All for your great help, your input made me solve the problem instantly NOTRolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Exclamation Exclamation
gracar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was a posting to generate some assistance you might want to rethink your strategy!

If you look on the left hand side of this screen and select "GPS Reviews; GPS Software; Technical" you'll find a link to "Test & Tweak your GPS Receiver". From there you will be able to download a very useful little utility to get you started on the road to recovery.
Saltydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

It wasn't my intention to 'insult' somebody for that I apologize Embarassed but I was so frustrated seeing everybody getting replies on there calls for help but me I was wondering if the problem wasn't a "big deal" for the members but for me it is.

So thank you for your reply, I will download the tool and see where it leads me. Otherwise HP can replace it, I still have warranty left till '05 Thumbs Up

Cheers
Olaf
Saltydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracar
this is the deal: I have run the Tweaking and Testing your GPS Receiver
and there I have my problem:

quote:
If you're using a Bluetooth GPS receiver, you can check the COM port that's being used by going into the Bluetooth Manager and checking the settings as it should tell you which COM port will be used for Bluetooth connectivity. With that said, we should now have all of the settings we need.

There is NO Seriel8 COM8 or seriel5 COM5 to choose while
in the bluetooth settings/serial tab it says incoming com5 outgoing com8 and this is my problem. I don't know why I don't see these ports available

I can talk to ordinary IRDA devices like mobile phone

I think/hope a reinstall of the windows mobile 2003 or even going back to pocket pc 2002 will fix this because right now I don't see another way so far Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad [/u]
Stevie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too upgraded from 2002 to 2003 and the Bluetooth is slightly different. Do you have 'Bluetooth Serial Port COM5' listed if so try that.

Mine seemed to switch from com8 to com5 after the upgrade.

I'm using Ipaq 3970, Globalsat BT308 under 2003. Settings 'NMEA 0183v2 Bluetooth' and 'Bluetooth Serial Port COM5:' on the GPS tab of the GPS Status tab.

I also made sure I had the latest versions of TomTome and GPS from the web site as one does include Pocketpc 2003 changes.
Saltydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie
No I only see serial connection on com1 or com6 and general IRDA No
"bluetooth ........." for any port.

I am running TTN2 2.24.2 with 2.08 driver

I have the feeling that the upgrade didn't go will but i didn't do it myself it was Microsoft.
pabe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltydog,
Maybe, for the time being, there's a workaround that may work for you. There's a piece of software, created for the MDA/XDA II platform that allows you to create a new com port for communicating with a bluetooth receiver. Look here for more information. Don't know if it works on a ipaq with the widcomm bluetooth stack.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltydog wrote:
Stevie
No I only see serial connection on com1 or com6 and general IRDA No
"bluetooth ........." for any port.

I am running TTN2 2.24.2 with 2.08 driver

I have the feeling that the upgrade didn't go will but i didn't do it myself it was Microsoft.

Have you tried soft rsetting the unit? If you have and that has not helped then I would suggest it's time to back-up and hard reset.
Saltydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: let's HP figure it out Reply with quote

I have found the problem but still unable to fix it. But I have decided to
bring it the HP and let them deal with it.

The problem found was:
I compared the registry for bluetooth with an ipac 5550 of a co-worker
and found that in the key HKLM\DRIVERS\BUILTIN
i do not have the seriel5 or seriel8 keys Crying or Very sad
this is why 'software' is not able to give me those two to select
FI Tomtom.

we have tried to export and import the keys but that didn't work Sad .
No shoot always miss I say Smile

Let's hope HP is able to fix this.

ALL
thank you for the response/hints, it helped me finding what was wrong.

Cheers
Olaf
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is almost certain that HP will tell you to soft reset, then if that doesn't work, hard reset. Darren has already given you the same advice. If you want to try to sort this without a hard reset, you're on your own - HP are highly unlikely to be able to help. All they can offer you is a way back to a known state, which is a hard reset.

I'd only bother contacting HP if a hard reset doesn't give you back your Bluetooth serial port - at that point, the iPAQ will probably need to be sent in for repair.

Just as with Windows on PCs, sometimes things get trashed that shouldn't. If some registry keys relating to Bluetooth are damaged, who knows what else is damaged. You could spend ages trying to cobble the registry back together, and still not have a reliable system at the end of it.

A hard reset on a Pocket PC is the equivalent of a reformat and reinstall on a PC - usually getting going again after a deliberate hard reset takes less than two hours, especially if you keep all your software installers and serial numbers to hand (I keep all my serial numbers in an Excel file).

Much of your software will be waiting in ActiveSync ready to reinstall at the click of a mouse, and your PIM data is restored as soon as you delete your now useless ActiveSync partnership and create a new one. If you're careful in this, you can bring back the contents of \My Documents from your PC if you were synchronising files before your hard reset - though I tend to zip up \My Documents using Resco Explorer 2003 before a deliberate hard reset and use Resco Explorer to unzip the files again afterwards.

It's far less pain to hard reset a Pocket PC than it is to reformat a desktop machine - it takes me about a week to get my main workstation fully sorted out after a reformat. I can do a Pocket PC in around two hours - even the upgrade from Pocket PC 2002 to Pocket PC 2003 only took me two days, and that was with a lot of problems to solve and software to upgrade.

The advice about the XDA II is not appropriate in this case. HP don't use the Microsoft Bluetooth stack; instead they use a stack from Widcomm that has serial port facilities built in. Trying a patch aimed at a different stack is only likely to trash the Bluetooth completely until a hard reset is carried out.

David
Saltydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A hard reset on a Pocket PC is the equivalent of a reformat and reinstall on a PC - usually getting going again after a deliberate hard reset takes less than two hours, especially if you keep all your software installers and serial numbers to hand (I keep all my serial numbers in an Excel file).

This is what I did several times but no success . Just FYI bluetooth is working fine with phone or a connection with pc (activesync) but tomtom software doesn't let me select com8 or com5. Therefor I have sent it to HP and they will either bring the ipac back to pocket pc 2002 or run the rom update (pocket pc 2003 again)
they said that the os and registry are not the same (OS is windows 2003 and registry looks like ROM of pocketpc2002)
I told them I bought it like this so we will see what happens

for now UPS has lost my IPAC so another 4 days to go before they will give me a brand new one Laughing

rgds Olaf
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you'll soon have a working iPAQ. It sounds like your original machine had a corrupted ROM - in which case there's not usually that much you can do.

HP (well, more accurately the contractors HP use) are pretty good at repairing things - but in your case it sounds like it might turn into an insurance replacement via UPS.

David
carl1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had the same problem but with a hp1940, go on to totom web site and down load the new GPS driver 2.09

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: