Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buddies.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buddies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Buddies. Reply with quote

As SAD as this may be BUT....

Anyone wish to switch their unit on, and let me know their e-mail address, so I can see how the "Buddies" feature works.

The friends I have are mostly "technophobic", and their idea of a SatNav is a map, and nagging wife!!

Thanks for any positive respondents :-)

Cheers

(I know.. sad isn't it!) :-)
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just checked out my TT One, the Buddies feature is "greyed out" so I don't know if this is an extra feature or what, if it is then I am not subscribed to it, or I would gladly try and help.

If it's not an "Extra" maybe someone will let me know. Please.
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just checked the TT web-site.

Although it's a "FREE SERVICE" one needs to have a "Blue Tooth Phone" to enable it to work, which I don't so sorry I can't help you.
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldfogy wrote:
Having just checked the TT web-site.

Although it's a "FREE SERVICE" one needs to have a "Blue Tooth Phone" to enable it to work, which I don't so sorry I can't help you.

Guys,

Have just set this up today and tried it out with a collegue at work. It is a free service but you need to have an active Tom Tom Plus account, i.e. you must subscribe to one of their services like Trafic/Speeadcamera/etc...

It works great
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limans75 wrote:
It is a free service but you need to have an active Tom Tom Plus account, i.e. you must subscribe to one of their services like Trafic/Speeadcamera/etc...

Are you absolutely certain about that? Having a PLUS account does not necessarily mean that you are subscribed to any of the services.
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected, i presumed if you had a plus account you must be a subscriber.

Appologies to one and all.

Just to add to what i was saying though, it is a great service especially if you are on the road a lot like myself and my collegues doing surveys. Their is a messaging service on the buddies menu and you can send messages to your buddies as well as sending locations. Just hope this doesnt suck up a lot of the GPRS download.

I would have thought this would be usefull for companies keeping an eye on where staff, both for skiving of work but also for Health and Saftey etc.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

limans75 wrote:
I stand corrected, i presumed if you had a plus account you must be a subscriber.

Appologies to one and all.

Just to add to what i was saying though, it is a great service especially if you are on the road a lot like myself and my collegues doing surveys. Their is a messaging service on the buddies menu and you can send messages to your buddies as well as sending locations. Just hope this doesnt suck up a lot of the GPRS download.

I would have thought this would be usefull for companies keeping an eye on where staff, both for skiving of work but also for Health and Saftey etc.

"Their is a messaging service on the buddies menu and you can send messages to your buddies as well as sending locations"

Somehow, I think that is incompatible with health and safety How long before some Censored kills someone as they focus on typing a message in?

(fx Dom Jolly)"HELLO,YEH I'M ON THE A645 BUT YOU CAN SEE THAT ALREADY BUT I THOUGHT I'D TELL YOU ANYWAY"

Twisted Evil
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely put, although if this Censored was typing whilst driving then they desereve a crash.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

limans75 wrote:
Nicely put, although if this Censored was typing whilst driving then they desereve a crash.

but not the poor sod they crash into :-(

Tw
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
Somehow, I think that is incompatible with health and safety How long before some Censored kills someone as they focus on typing a message in?

The same goes for entering a destination while on the move. RIGHT, THAT'S IT. BAN ALL SAT NAVS ON 'ELF AND SAFETY GROUNDS. Rolling Eyes

But seriously, if it means that people make/receive fewer phone calls while on the move then it's got to be a good thing surely?
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:

The same goes for entering a destination while on the move. RIGHT, THAT'S IT. BAN ALL SAT NAVS ON 'ELF AND SAFETY GROUNDS. Rolling Eyes

But seriously, if it means that people make/receive fewer phone calls while on the move then it's got to be a good thing surely?

Erm... no.... how can it be a good thing? Fewer phone calls on the road because they are typing/reading messages from Buddies? I don't think so...
Now if you're static, then thast fine.
Having been hit by some on his phone, I am fully against the use of mobiles on the move, and this would also apply to some Censored driving and typing/reading a message and also trying to plan a trip on the move.

As I said, if you're sat in traffic or pulled off the road (as PGPSW always advise you do) then I think it's great... and yes, I have used it!

iPhone 6 with Western Europe & CamerAlert
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadget_sa wrote:
Erm... no.... how can it be a good thing? Fewer phone calls on the road because they are typing/reading messages from Buddies? I don't think so...

No, fewer phone calls on the road because they can see the location of their buddy on the screen!

How many mobile calls start with "Hello? Yes, I'm at xxxxx, where are you?". With the buddy system, you don't need to make that call. Fewer people using their phone while on the move = safer driving.

As for text messages, this feature has been available on phones for over 10 years, how does it suddenly contain so much more badness now that it's on Sat Nav? If someone couldn't send a message with their sat nav don't you think they would just use their phone instead? Rolling Eyes
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
gadget_sa wrote:

No, fewer phone calls on the road because they can see the location of their buddy on the screen!

How many mobile calls start with "Hello? Yes, I'm at xxxxx, where are you?". With the buddy system, you don't need to make that call. Fewer people using their phone while on the move = safer driving.

As for text messages, this feature has been available on phones for over 10 years, how does it suddenly contain so much more badness now that it's on Sat Nav? If someone couldn't send a message with their sat nav don't you think they would just use their phone instead? Rolling Eyes

With a bigger screen, more temptation to send messages and more to send messages about "oh I see you are at X now, how long do you think you'll be?".

And I agree you'd think if they could see your location they wouldn't ask where you were, but we are talking about the same type of people who seem to phone just to say they are on the train, every few minutes.

'yes I've just got on the train,see you in 30 minutes' ...oh its running late, be an extra 5...oh its speeded up, back on time...oh just arriving now...just pressing the 'open door' button," etc
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

I get you Skippy... yes, assuming they use the Buddies instead of a communication tool, it will be a lot safer.....
And the texts, yes it has been around for ages, but I didn't say it was worse, it's "as" bad now on a satnav as it is on a moby... and like Tumbleweed says, bigger screen, another gadget on your satnav.... mmmm tempting!!

But I'm sure we are all guilty of it at some point... it can become silly though as lots of people say... if you are touching buttons on your radio, why not not your satnav?
Good debate though! Wink

iPhone 6 with Western Europe & CamerAlert

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: