Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 910 - What can I do with it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 910 - What can I do with it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satnavnewbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: TT 910 - What can I do with it? Reply with quote

Bought from PCWorld recently. Used it for getting from A to B - great. But what else can I do with it? It bleeps to let me know when there are fixed speed cameras around, can I get it to find mobile units as well?

Thanks SNN
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tomtom speed camera database does not contain mobile cameras. IMO it's best to ditch that and use the pocketgpsworld one which is far more accurate.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick read of the TomTom 910 manual will give you a pretty good idea what else it will do other than just navigating.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNN, please have a read through THIS which details the installation / configuration of the PocketGPSWorld database on the 910 - if you are unsure it explains the set-up.

Before you do anything with the unit please make sure you do perform a FULL DAY ONE back up and include everything, do not be tempted to leave out any files/ folders, this will take about 50 Mins but it is the only back-up of data you will have - Mike
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The tomtom speed camera database does not contain mobile cameras.
This is quite correct however it does notify of mobile cameras. TomTom support said the following:
Quote:
You will also find options on the Safety Camera Warnings page to add safety cameras to your map and report them to our database so that other users can be warned. The information that you and all of our users submit for the locations of mobile cameras can then be installed by all users and stored on the device for four hours.
For this to work you need wireless connectivity.

As for accuracy, I have found no incorrectly located or missing cameras. The only thing that is occasionally wrong is the side of the road on which the camera resides.

All this said I have no experience of the pocketgpsworld database which is more than likely top notch.

Colin

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
Satnavnewbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I'll go through all your suggestions.

SNN
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinS wrote:

As for accuracy, I have found no incorrectly located or missing cameras. The only thing that is occasionally wrong is the side of the road on which the camera resides.

They've got an interesting error for the one just outside my door. One in the wrong place (apparently on the right hand side of the road not in the middle where it actually is - it's on a movable arm so depending on which way they've set it can work either way), and a completely phantom one on a side street 200 yards away... that believe me simply doesn't exist.

I like the pgpsw one - never seen an error in it since I got it (apart from the occasional mobile position being a few yards out, but I still get plenty of warning).
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tony. I have my TomTom subscription now but will certainly look at the pgpsw one when it expires. I do like the ease with which the TomTom updates install through Home. Do you find the pgpsw ones difficult to update or is it a breeze?

Colin

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy... open zip file, drop .bmp and .ov2 files into map directory.

The hard bit is adding sounds/voices to it, but you'd have that with the TT ones anyway. There's some spoken voices you can add by replacing data.chk or if you have a 910 then it's just a matter of coming up with a suitable phrase and letting the TTS handle it. That's just a one-time thing.

My one niggle at the moment is the PGPSW RSS feed doesn't work so we don't know precisely when they release the new database..
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyHoyle wrote:
My one niggle at the moment is the PGPSW RSS feed doesn't work so we don't know precisely when they release the new database..

Which RSS reader are you using? I just tested it in Firefox and it is working correctly.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feed is simply invalid - it won't work in any conforming RSS reader. It's missing some essential tags.

It doesn't work in firefox.. that's a *very* strict reader - won't even work with half the blogspot feeds which is why I abandoned it for a better one.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw. how are you adding it to firefox? The page with the feed icon isn't structured such that FF actually recognises there's a feed on it.. you have to go to another feed, add that, then go back and edit it to paste the PGPSW feed in.. then it simply says 'unable to load feed' as expected (FF will break even if you use something like a single quote in the feed... completely broken structure has no chance).

Unless they've improved it in the nightly drops of course.. but no current version will touch it.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! It just started working... it even (almost) validates through feedvalidator (I think the one issue it has is merely a warning).

Thanks for that.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cut down a lot of what was placed into the feed from the database. The text with the release may now be a bit terse, but should pass more checks.

I was using Wizz RSS 2.1.2 with no problems and Newsgator again with no issues.

The *Warning* shown in feedvalidator is because we have not included a guid which we cant as there is not one applicable to this feed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: