Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman iCN 550 Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman iCN 550 Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icfolland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Navman iCN 550 Problems Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone help? I have an Navman iCN 550 with traffic module. When entering new addresses or new favourites the unit reverses through the entries made faster then the next digit or entry can be made. The oproblem is intermittent and seems worse when there is no GPS signal. Once data is enetered and on the move the unot seems to work fine. I am now on my second because of this problem. At first Navman were helpful and replaced the unit now the second one is doing the same they don't want to seem to want to know. Anyone else having the same problems or if you have a solution please let me know.

Thanks

Ian
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you elaborate on the problem?
icfolland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Navman iCN 550 Problems Reply with quote

Hi Tim / Everyone

Thanks for your response. I shall try to make the problem clearer. I think the best way is to give a step by step illustration of the problem.

Assuming the unit is on and you wish to go to an address. I press the menu button to go to the main menu. Then if there is time before it reverts to the map (approx 1 second) I hit the goto selection. I then have less than one second to decide which sort of goto it is. Assuming I pick address I then have less than one second to decide what sort of address. If I don't select quickly enough it backs out to the main menu and then 1 second later back to the map. This occurs at each stage of an address entry until you hit go. It will reverse when entering each letter of a street name or post code and is very frustrating. It is almost like someone is pressing 'escape' constantly. It does this on every screen and every point of entry.

If you leave it alone it sometimes says 'test' randomly and has even known to move between different views. Pressing the main menu button can cause it to ask if you wish to reset it.

The situation improves slightly when the GPS location is established. It doesn't seem to do it tricks once you have got an address in and you are on the move.

I have tried soft and hard resets and even isolating the battery but this doesn't have any effect. Sometimes it works fine. As this is the second unit I have had like this I am wondering if it is a bigger problem than just me.

The unit was bought at the end of Febraury 2006 and has Smart ST 2005 software with the whole of Europe installed on the hard disk. Navman replaced it once but when I reported the unit was doing the same they said they would review the situation and never came back to me. If anyone can help or has any ideas of now I can get Navman interested in the problem please let me know.

Ian
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never heard of any other user having this problem. I can't remember how long I've had a 550 but it's never exhibited such behaviour. I hope you can find a solution with Navman's help. I wil forward the link to this thread to a couple of people I know there.
icfolland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Navman iCN 550 Problems Reply with quote

Tim

Thanks for your support. I will raise the issue again with Navman support. It has shaken my confidence in them significantly.

Ian
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reply from a contact in Navman via email.

Quote:
Tim,

his touchscreen is too tight and the system believes the user is pressing the touchscreen when he's not.
We need to return the device back to repair.
Get him to contact us on 01293 780 500.
Ta

Ask to speak to Laurent if you get the chance.
icfolland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Navman iCN 550 Problems Reply with quote

Tim

I have now arranged for Navma to collect the iCN 550 and return it too them for examination. Thanks for your help and I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Ian
icfolland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Navman iCN 550 Problems Reply with quote

Hi Tim / Everyone

I thought I would update you on progress with my Navman ICN 550. The unit has finally been returned from Navman. In between sending it and return they managed to loose it and send me soneone elses unit which to date has not been collected for return!

The unit was reviewed and found to be no fault found. Switching the unit on with a brief trial shows that all the problems still remain.

I just don't know how to proceed from here and any advice would be welcome. If you know someone in Navman that can help please can you let me know who they are. I would even be willing to go to NAvman to demonstrte the problems so that they can see for themselves.

In my opinion the device is not of mechantable quality and I will take every opportunity to recommend others to stay well away from it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: