Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding Plus maps to Go 700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding Plus maps to Go 700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Adding Plus maps to Go 700 Reply with quote

I want to avoid minor roads, driving around UK and Europe (through France to Spain), but on the 700, there is no option for this. Is it feasible to load a plus map onto the 700, and use this for the transit, changing back to the main map for the last bit.

If it is, can I set up a destination on both maps, so that when I change, I don't have to reprogramme a destination on the second map?

Alternatively, would I be better off selling the 700 and buying a 510 with Plus maps of Europe. ( I'm concerned about the mount issue.)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely selecting "Fastest" route will avoid minor roads except where there is nothing but minor roads??
I'm hoping that selecting "Avoiding Motorways" will keep me away from toll charges and Vignettes when I go round Europe in September.
Yes, you SHOULD be concerned about the 510 mount issue (and other x10 issues too).
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alternatively, would I be better off selling the 700 and buying a 510 with Plus maps of Europe. ( I'm concerned about the mount issue.)

Not sure if this is the correct solution for you but I can say that I have had a 510 for several weeks now and the mount only started to give drooping problems when I kept removing it from the car. I reported this to TT Support and they sent me a new mount about two weeks ago. I have had no problems since.

I have never had any issues with the charging in the car. Although I now have a clock issue (posted it earlier but no replies yet Crying or Very sad ).

By far the most issues on this forum have been 910 related. Firstly because it is heavier as far as drooping mount issues and secondly because it does lots of fancy things over and above what you need for GPS.

I think, for example, that if you want to play MP3s then buy an MP3 player. Text to voice is nice but not necessary.

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Surely selecting "Fastest" route will avoid minor roads except where there is nothing but minor roads??
I'm hoping that selecting "Avoiding Motorways" will keep me away from toll charges and Vignettes when I go round Europe in September.
Yes, you SHOULD be concerned about the 510 mount issue (and other x10 issues too).

When I was in Germany, up the Mosel, quite often the so called fastest route would be straight up the side of a hill, and then down the other side, rather than around the extremely winding river valley. The 700 assumed I would be doing about 40mph on the side road, when in practice, with the hairpin bends there were times when I was lucky to average 20. On one occasion, I ignored a "fastest" route that I had previously been on, and it was only about 100 yards later that the recalculation showed the valley road as now being the faster. There were only a few seconds difference as far as Tom Tom was concerned, but the much more uncomfortable road through the hairpins was still the "Fastest". It turned out that the valley floor was actually 15 mins faster than the "fastest" route, because of these false assumptions of average speed.

On the second point, by using your "avoid toll road" options rather than avoid motorways, you may well be able to plot a faster route, as this will allow motorways that don't have tolls. The only caveat, is that you should check carefully to see what you are avoiding. I tried this on the Germany trip, and was confused by TT trying to take me through London to the Blackwall Tunnel en-route from Bedford to Dover. It turned out it was ignoring the M25 because the Dartford crossing was considered a toll road to be avoided.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: