Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Truvello cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Truvello cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Truvello cameras Reply with quote

Now most people are upgrading to the new 6.140 firmware on the Tom Toms would it not be possible to have the gatso/truvello speed camera database split into there own groups. There are now 100 POI allowed on the Tom Tom and I for one would like this option.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Truvello cameras Reply with quote

kmw wrote:
Now most people are upgrading to the new 6.140 firmware on the Tom Toms would it not be possible to have the gatso/truvello speed camera database split into there own groups. There are now 100 POI allowed on the Tom Tom and I for one would like this option.

Begs the question - why?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, all I care about is the speed a camera is set to, I've often wondered why anyone cares who made it?

Just interested to know... Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud - snap!
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only difference I can see is that with Gatso you can brake down to the speed limit about 30 feet later. But we never use the database to allow speeding do we? Embarassed
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
For me, all I care about is the speed a camera is set to, I've often wondered why anyone cares who made it?

Just interested to know... Smile

Front-facing Truvelo camera with a TT Rider on a bike with only a rear-facing number plate... Twisted Evil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha!
NOW I see.... 8)
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, at risk of being flamed for repetitious posting . . .

A Truvelo is sited to "get" you as you approach it - and some of them have a b****y long range.

A Gatso takes photos of your rear end (actually your vehicle's rear end cos if you're sitting in a car it would be difficult to see your rear end!)

BTW. Has anyone else heard anything about Gatsos being 'linked' so that they act as average speed cams? I recently met someone who claimed that he had been caught for speeding in a motorway roadworks zone for exceeding an average speed. I am very familiar with the place where he claimed to have been caught and there are only a series of 'Gatso-like' devices. His comment was along the lines of "I slowed down for every camera over the white lined area then accelerated until I saw the next camera then slowed again - but was still caught". Now, I don't want to appear to be sanctimonious, but I've no sympathy for him as the limits are imposed to help protect the lives of the workforce and an average speed of 86 mph is almost certain to put lives as risk. (OK, rant over :D :D )
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specs are now routinely used on British motorways when roadworks are in operation. Slowing down for Gatso lines on the road won't help your friend if he doesn't look out for the specs masts on enetering and leaving the roadworks. There is usualy a sign warning of average speed cams in operation as well.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a bit sneaky - having both Gatso and specs cams on the same stretch of road. But I suppose the fact that our customer had been doing well over 80 mph in a 50 mph zone demonstrates that they were needed!
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chookman wrote:
A Truvelo is sited to "get" you as you approach it - and some of them have a b****y long range.

I always thought that Truvelo had a very short range. It doesn't have any radar, but reads the speed from sensors embedded in the road in front of it. The actual photo is then taken as you cross the three white lines just after the sensor. Every one I've seen is only a short distance from the camera.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chookman wrote:
That would be a bit sneaky - having both Gatso and specs cams on the same stretch of road. But I suppose the fact that our customer had been doing well over 80 mph in a 50 mph zone demonstrates that they were needed!

It also catches the driver who enters an average zone, gets stuck behind slow movers and then speeds knowing that on average, the speed will be ok. If you have a vehicle system which displays average speed, you can trip it at the start of the specs and as long as your average doesnt go over the limit, specs isn't interested. Gatso will get you, however, if your speed fluctuates up and down.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:

Front-facing Truvelo camera with a TT Rider on a bike with only a rear-facing number plate... Twisted Evil

DUH. Don't ride a bike and never considered that someone would want to know ifthey can speed through a camera site without being caught..
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
chookman wrote:

I always thought that Truvelo had a very short range. It doesn't have any radar, but reads the speed from sensors embedded in the road in front of it. The actual photo is then taken as you cross the three white lines just after the sensor. Every one I've seen is only a short distance from the camera.

Yes the truvelo works on pressure strips (aka the white lines) which are just in front if the camera, so no radar and no long range...
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrstella wrote:

Yes the truvelo works on pressure strips (aka the white lines) which are just in front if the camera, so no radar and no long range...

The actual sensors are embedded in the ground before the white lines., and appear as lines of bitumen, where the slits have been filled in. Having measured the speed, the Truvelo knows when your front wheel will cross the 3 white lines, and takes the picture at that point. That way, if there are 2 vehicles in the picture, the one with the wheels on the white lines is the one which had the speed registered.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: