Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C710 - Best on the market, or too many bugs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C710 - Best on the market, or too many bugs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: C710 - Best on the market, or too many bugs? Reply with quote

Hey guys, first post!

I'm seriously considering buying a C710 (Currently have an i3, and she has more mood swings than you would believe.....).

I read one topic and can't wait to get this kit, cos it sounds like the best thing since sliced bread, but then i read another thread and im totally put off it - whats the absolute verdict?

I tell you what i will do, list a few questions!

1 - POI - anyone worked out a way of installing them yet? Not overly fussed with the speed cam POIs, but due to work, i have 5000 entry POI file of all our sites that i really could use! Also would like to update the apparently lacklustre standard ones.

2- TMC - Exactly how does it handle it? Forget about coverage, i want to know how the mio handles the information. Theres two reasons i want this one, and the biggest is the TMC. Does it tell you in cockpit mode what the problems are, does it give you icons? How is it avoided?

3 - UI - The second reason im tempted to this device. From what i can gather this thing has the best software going, forgetting about POI troubles. The mapping looks SOOO smooth, and the cockpit screen seems like the best of any other makes.

4 - Menu - Is this really as arse about face? Some say its not tooo bad, other say its terrible?

5 - Units - KPH? This is a huge problem, no voices support imperial measurements? And it reports speed in KPH not miles? Thats really really bad, and in fact may well put me off this purchase completely.

Number 2&3 are the most important ones. Can anyone recommend any other devices perhaps that has such smooth mapping and a better TMC application?

Great big thanks in advance, been reading these forums for a while, and its a really great source of information!

Jay*
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: C710 - Best on the market, or too many bugs? Reply with quote

[quote="Jay_uk"]Hey guys, first post!

1 - Not yet but people are working on it.

2- The screen shows congested roads in a bold blue line with icons each end for heavy traffic, accident or roadworks. You can set the unit to route around holdups automatically. You can also get a listing of holdups before starting off.

3 - Agreed

4 - It is different, if you are already familiar with a different make. Otherwise no problem.

5 - Switchable miles/km. Voices follow the chosen setting

Sal
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,

Just one thing to add regarding the POI's...

I too was a little concerned about this until I used the Outlook option -- all of my client names and addresses were already in Outlook (or could be easily imported into it) and they sync just fine with my 510E

When I go to "My POIs" there is a sub-category called "Contacts" -- or I can find them in the Contact list and navigate directly from there... not a complete solution, but an option!

Andy

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the POIs that come with it, they aren't much use. For instance, if you are desperately out of bread or milk and you click on Shop, all you get are Partco Autoparts Ltd for miles around. And that's it. Useless. Unless you want spark plugs.
I hope someone can get decent POI's working on this thing. The mapping is excellent though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: