Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mounting C510E in car.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting C510E in car.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Mounting C510E in car. Reply with quote

I'm not too keen on the winscreen mount supplied with the Mio. It's too big to just leave there and fiddly to fix and un-fix as well as looking unsightly.

Anyone found a good vent clip that will work with the Mio. My Rover has a handy vent on the flat top of the dash; most vent mounts seem to be designed for forward facing rather than vertical facing vents and also for PDA style receivers.

Reg
bigrids
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rronaldson,

Hi, I have a Mio 510 on order but already have a Brodit mount waiting to go into my car when the unit arrives. I think the Brodit system is fantastic and have one in both my vehicles for my current satnav (an IPAQ with TomTom Navigator 5).

First you need to buy a proclip for your car and then a mount for the satnav which fits to the proclip. Then the satnav unit fits onto the mount. If you visit the DSL website http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/brodit.asp you will see what I mean.

1. Select a clip for the car first.
2. Find the mount for the satnav

Fits in about 2 minutes.

Hope this helps.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C510 comes with a clamp that has the 4 hole HR system plate. You can buy an adapter to fit that onto the Brodit Car mount. - saves you half the money.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Hi Guys, ive just bought one of these this morning & it should arrive tomorrow (C510 i mean), im wondering do you have to get one of these proclips and seperate mounts? is it necessary, do you not get a mount with the sat nav in the box?

Regards

Anarchy
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on the Brodit mounts. I've had a look at their site and quite like the look of them. I've put a question on their own forum about mounting the Mio on the dash vents. My only concern is that the Mio would be too low to "see" the GPS satelites properly.
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good point actually rronaldson! With some cars they may prove to be low in terms of seeing things on the gps or accquiring the satellites although dont the brodit range have options for some cars like having one on the dash, the vent, and the angled version
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AnarchyUK,

had a reply from the Brodit people and they say it should work OK.

For my Rover 45 they do three mount positions; low - centre console, medium - side of dash console and high - face level vents. The high position seems most suitable if only for viewing reasons. I guess that there are a variety of mounting positions depending on the car make and model.

Regarding your original question a window mount is supplied with the 510 which works OK but it's a bit too clunky for my taste.

Reg
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i think ill wait til i get mine this morning & try it out & if im needing one then ill get one.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all.
Just to reassure you guys that I don't think you'll have any problems with sat acquisiton.
This SirfStar III chipset is really something else. It's like a dog with a bone, once sats are acquired it never lets them go. I've never had mine drop a connnection yet (even in the centre of London).
It's even worked just lying on the passengers seat! How low is that?
By the way I'm using a Brodit clip specific for my car but used the mount that came in the box. Just drilled & tapped 2 x 4mm holes into the Brodit for fixing, but there's no reason you couldn't use self tapping screws.
Works a treat.
Brodits are not cheap but I can't stand my sat nav on the windscreen and this solves my problem. :D
Lovely Jub.

CeeJay
ianj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right about the GPS fix. I have a heat reflecting windscreen (SAAB 9-3) and my old navman 3400 receiever saw nothing, my C710 "sees" straight through it.

My only comment about mounting is that if you use the hands-free function you need to keep the bottom right of the unit clear of the air vent flow otherwise all the other person hears is wind!

I'm using the windscreen mount quite happily as it puts the unit at finger tip distance from the steering wheel and makes it much steadier to operate the touchscreen.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: