Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Easier way to get speed cams on 910 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Easier way to get speed cams on 910 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Easier way to get speed cams on 910 ? Reply with quote

Had a Garmin i3 before and it was VERY simple to get the speed cameras on there (Thanks to Ash10's application). Is there no simple way to get the speed cameras on the Tomtom GO 910 without needed to set the POI distances manually ? Its very time consuming and get annoying after about 3 speed limits.

thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of THIS it will explain/ show you how to set them up, using the 910 I would go for the TTS option as I highlighted in the guide, its just so much better, once configured you never have to touch them again, an update simply replaces the positional data - the set-up remains the same - Mike
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. That is the exact guide I followed when I set this up. I didnt know I would not need to set it up again on updates, thats what was getting to me. Now that you say I will just need to update as normal (replace files directly on tomtom (?)) then thats fine as i only need to go through the long process of typing stuff out only the once .

Please correct me if Im wrong

Thanks again Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct simply set it up once, that is all that should be required. When you update the cameras though you should check as a new camera type might have been included, if a new camera type/ speed is made available then just the new one would require to be set-up, this doesn't happen too often fortunatly.
I run with a double warning set-up for the speed zoned so thats 48 setting I have to put in, so I fully understand your concern if this had to be done each month, but it doesn't - Mike
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Mike !

Couple of questions if I may

1) Could you explain how you do the double alert system please ? I had this on my Garmin i3 and really liked the way it would constantly annoy u to reduce your speed if you were going over the limit in certain proximity.

2) I have set alll the 20-70 mph options but do not know what to put down as the distance for TBA etc cameras ... could you please advise ?

Thanks again !
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
1) Could you explain how you do the double alert system please ? I had this on my Garmin i3 and really liked the way it would constantly annoy u to reduce your speed if you were going over the limit in certain proximity.
You have to rename each of the 24 camera files to something slightly different (add a 1 or letter at the end of each file name but before the .bmp or .ov2 file extension) you need to do this to all 24 files, then add these re-named files to the device and set it up for double warnings (reduce the distance for the second allert - I have mine set to 100 Yards for the secondarys) the real reason for this is to ensure you get an audible warning for each camera as some of us have noticed if you pass multiple cameras of the same type and speed you only get a visual prompt but no audio alarm for the second / third camera unless you get a Nav voice prompt in between. Using this method you always get the audio and visual alert.

nudda wrote:
2) I have set alll the 20-70 mph options but do not know what to put down as the distance for TBA etc cameras ... could you please advise ?
Again this is down to your own preference, I use a value of 500 yards, if you feel this is too little simply increase the value - Mike
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks Mike, will pluck up some patience to do all 24 (Snoooze) and give it a try. Will give feedback here. p.s: Is there no way to manage POI's via tomtom home or some other software on computer ? I feel as if Im killing the screen by tapping it on sooo many time (even just to get to the camera you are changing the opention for !)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can mess around with the TomTom home software and as you probably know you can control the TomTom using the PC's screen, I thought this would make life easier for set-up but non of the TTS related options show up on the PC screen, so it is a full set-up using the device.

I wouldnt worry about tapping the screen, so long as you only poke a finger at it gently, i.e. don't stab a long finger nail at it, you should be fine - Mike
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thats true.

At the moment Ive left the protective sticker on, I just lightly tap it. Never ever use my nails (infact I cut them recently to make sure I dont accidentally scratch it Laughing Out Loud) but am just worried about making it think too much in this heat. Its currently 33 deg in my room ... windows open, two fans yet its not budging down.

When is this heat going to end !!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: