Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem viewing France Plus Map from UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem viewing France Plus Map from UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveGlasgow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Problem viewing France Plus Map from UK Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

still a TT newbie here so hopefully a simple request!

I'm in UK, and I'm driving to France next month. I got the France Plus Map, loaded this onto my SD card and instructed TT5 to change maps from GB Plus to France Plus. When it does this, I just get a grey screen with the blue arrow in the centre of the screen, no detail shown. Is that because I'm still in the UK? I wasn't sure if I'd be able to load it and check it worked OK prior to leaving, but thinking about it I don't know whether it should be visible or not.

Any clues would be really appreciated, thanks! It'll be a long drive there and I'd prefer to know it was going to work before I t!ried to use it in anger
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Browse Map and then zoom right out, you should be able to see the whole of Europe.

Since it's a plus map you should be able to see the major roads in the UK too.
DaveGlasgow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I see two names listed and two roads but nothing else. Is that maybe due to the scale of the map that it can only zoom in / out to a set scale?

At least I can see something listed, I hadn't even thought of zooming out!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you change to the France plus map, if you wait for a lock it will show your position in GB but only the Major Roads of Europe. Set up a Home within this map. My Home in the France map is on a road about half a mile from where I live.

If you want to look around France, don't use Navigate to, go to page 2 and use Advanced planning. Choose depart from home and destination e.g. Paris. You will now be able to browse map and zoom in on Street level.

One thing I would add, you don't really need two plus maps. Uninstall the GB plus map and load the GB map. Before travelling to France select the France plus map. You will be guided over the Major Roads of Europe in GB and the France Street level will be there when you get off the train/ferry. For your return choose Home.
DaveGlasgow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, many thanks for that. I have a 2GB SD card and use for TT5 for work, so it's handy to have the GB map on it to get all the roads, and switch to the French map when I get there. Excellent, thanks for the tip - I see it has exactly the info I'm going to need, especially since I'll be arriving late so driving in the dark.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
use for TT5 for work, so it's handy to have the GB map on it to get all the roads, and switch to the French map when I get there
You'll be surprised just how many GB roads are shown on the France plus map, it will easily get you from Glasgow to the ferries/ tunnel.

Providing you have a lock at Home, you can set up an itinerary, which you can save if you are likely to travel the same route.

Let's say you are travelling from Glasgow to Lyon.

You can set up Waypoints on route so you may want to travel via Liverpool, then Eurotunnel and finally say Lille. You will be guided via the addresses you have selected but would get no warning when you arrive.

However, the waypoints, one or all, can be changed to destinations and you will be told 'You have reached your Destination'. You can then delete that destination and continue to the next.
DaveGlasgow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice, many thanks. I don't leave for ages but thought it best to play with it ( oo-er, Matron ! ) well in advance so there are no surprises, so I was delighted to see just how much detail is in there.

Great idea of separate destinations, that's how I'll do it. I'm still amazed at being able to leave my house in Glasgow and be guided to my hotel outside Paris, all the way!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveGlasgow wrote:
Great idea of separate destinations, that's how I'll do it. I'm still amazed at being able to leave my house in Glasgow and be guided to my hotel outside Paris, all the way!
Clever isn't it! Just remember that you won't have the coverage you're used to in the UK. You'll be OK on the motorways, but be careful if you go off-route for fuel, food, etc. I mean off the motorway, not when using the Services Smile

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DaveGlasgow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Typically, after saying how great it was I've lost the voices from my TT5 - see recent posting in this forum!

:x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: