Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Merge POI (petrol) with Map (petrol)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Merge POI (petrol) with Map (petrol)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strydi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Merge POI (petrol) with Map (petrol) Reply with quote

Hi.

Have just bought a TomTom Rider with Scandinavien maps.
I use "Jet" as my petrol station, but they are not on the maps.

I have download all stations from www.jet.se, made an OV2 file, put it in the same place as the scandinavia maps. They shows up under Points of interest. So far so good.

When I am riding my motorbike there is only a few choices you can make on the screen for safety reasons.
If I want to get some petrol, it is possible to pike the petrol station icon and the Rider will show me the nearest petrol station, but never "Jet" petrol stations.

Is there a way Rider can show me a Jet petrol station (if its close) when I pike the petrol station icon?

/Stefan
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to find the Icon that corresponds to the Jet.ov2 File.

If you use Browse Map / Find / Point of Interest, then use the keyboard to input YOUR ov2 Filename. After you have made a choice it will show the location of the screen.

When you want to find a JET station again, repeat the above, but this time the JET icon should be 1 of the 5 most used Icons. If you do this several times it might even move the icon nearer to the First Position.

Long winded, but it works.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly ("pike" is just a fish with sharp teeth in England! Laughing ), all you need to do is "enable" the Jet POI category.
Go to "Manage POI" / "Enable POI" / and scroll down the list and put a tick beside your Jet stations category.
You can also enable them on "Browse Map" / "Options" / Tick "POI" then tap the "POI" box at he bottom and scroll to your Jet stations and tick the box.

Hope this is what you needed.....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, well done oldboy, that's another possibility - that he hasn't got an icon file to match the POI category.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between us we'll get there.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
strydi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

(Sorry for the misspelling, pike should be pick)

When I am riding my motorbike there is only four choices I can make on the screen, probably for safety reasons. The choices are Home, Petrol station and two more.

It seems that it is not possible to navigate to "Jet petrol stations", only to the "petrol stations" in the scandinavian maps.

Any more suggestion?

Best Regards / Stefan
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, lets go back a step or two... Smile

1 ) The Rider presumably already has a POI category for Petrol Stations, called "Petrol Station" or similar. Correct?

2 ) The download you got from www.jet.se is JUST the Jet stations, correct?

3 ) Once you have created your ov2 (how did you do this?), copied it to the Rider, and then enabled the Jet Stations POI category as described above, they should appear on the map if you go to "Browse Map" and search for YOUR Jet POI category, Do they?

4 ) You do realise that the Jet locations will not merge into the default TomTom petrol statiions category? When you are driving/riding, are you selecting "Jet" or whatever you called it, NOT "Petrol Stations"?

As Oldboy says, we WILL get there! Smile
strydi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andy_P2002

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) With POIEdit. Yes.

4) Yes. When riding, I can only select Petrol station. I have to stop the bike to be able to select Jet in POI.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers, got it clear now.
It sounded like you were having trouble creating or enabling your new POI category, I now realise it is a specific Rider design problem.
Unfortunately I don't own one but just checked the on-line manual and found you are stick with the 4 option menu while it is in "Driving" mode....
Quote:
Navigate to…

Tap this button to select a destination. You'll see another menu with these 4 buttons:

Home

Tap this button to start navigating to your Home location. You can set your Home location by tapping 'Change preferences' in the main menu, then 'Change Home location'.

Recent destination

Tap this button to start navigating to your most recent destination.

Itinerary planning

Tap this button to start navigating to the next destination on your Itinerary.

Petrol Station

Tap this button to start navigating to the nearest petrol station on your route. If there is no petrol station on your route, your TomTom RIDER will direct you to the nearest petrol station.

...so I see your problem.

Unless someone with more specific Rider knowledge can come up with a get-round, the only solutions I can think of are:
1 ) You can actually edit the built-in POI file and replace the TomTom petrol stations with your own. I've never tried this, and it looks fiddly, but there are instructions on Ray Flanagan's website HERE.

2 ) As a last resort, try covering the dock sense pin (pin 3) on the back of the rider with a bit of tape. It's the second contact from the left side when looking at the rear side of the Rider unit. You should get "normal" menus all the time, but you will lose the auto power on/off feature.

3 ) There was some discussion of a possible solution on the MyTomTomGo forum (see mention of it
HERE). But unfortunately that forum has recently re-launched and the links mentioned no longer work. The thread will be on the new site somewhere though.

Hope one of these helps!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: