Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Computer dies when copying map to card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer dies when copying map to card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Computer dies when copying map to card Reply with quote

Hi guys

Now heres a thing, I was copying the GB map, not the Plus map onto an sd IGb card off the Tom Tom CD No1. When halfway through the installation the computer just died. When I say died it just stopped working and turned itself off. I rebooted and the computer suffered no ill effects neither did I get an error message.
I left it and went out, came back about 10 hours later tried it again. and the same thing happened. I had already downloaded the iberia map onto this particular card a few months ago without a problem. The sd card is a viking 1Gb. Very peculiar and very strange. Somehow I think it must be related to the sd card but I'm not sure how, or why it would cause the whole computer not just to crash but to turn itself off. Any ideas on the subject would be very helpful.

Howard

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Computer dies when copying map to card Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote:
Hi guys
Now heres a thing, I was copying the GB map, not the Plus map onto an sd IGb card off the Tom Tom CD No1. When halfway through the installation the computer just died.
Howard

What i would try, copy anything back off the sd card you need to the pc (if it will let you without shutting down).
Remove card clean contacts (read that a rubber for removing pencil marks is ideal).
Carry out a full format of card (any errors may show up during this operation)
Eliminate the dvd/cd drive copy what you wish to tranfer to the card to the pc then from there to the card.
Has this worked Question if not will need to think of something else Exclamation
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I will give it a try over the next few days when I have time. I have to say though, when I copied the Iberia map onto the card the sd card then went back into its little box and has remained there ever since. So if the contacts are dirty I cant imagine how they got that way.
Will let you know how I get on.

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote:
Thanks for that, I will give it a try over the next few days when I have time. Howard

Some other thoughts Idea

If you have more than one usb port try using the card writer from another

I have seen this behaviour before on a PC stopping dead in its tracks due to a overheating cpu, is the fan working ok Question this is also an area where dust tends to build up and acts like insulation retaining the heat (depends on the environment and age of the equipment).

When you were copying was there a lot of cpu activity dvd/cd-hard drive-card writer and other programmes running Question shut down all unessesary programmes and as i said copy from dvd/cd to the hard drive then from there to the card writer.

When it shut down did it come back up on its own and booted up ok (or did it boot up with warnings and suggesting safe mode) Question or did you have to switch it back on Question

A strange fault difficult to diagnose without actually having the kit in front of you and seeing its behaviour but were not beaten yet Thumbs Up
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An overheating CPU... you know what, that might be the cause. When the computer died it wouldnt actually boot back up again until I had actually switched the machine off and then on again.

The on/off switch is at the back of the machine right next to the fan and I thought it felt abnormally hot. In fact when I touch the case now its warm but certainly not as hot as it was after the PC died.

That certainly sounds like it might be the problem, but does that mean that I can't copy from the CD drive to an SD or CF card? Because if that is the case how am I going to upgrade TT to version 6. I have changed computers and now remember that copying the iberia map to the SD
card was done on my last PC, as of course was upgrading from Ver:3 to Ver5

Timber, I think you have cracked it.

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote:
The on/off switch is at the back of the machine right next to the fan and I thought it felt abnormally hot. In fact when I touch the case now its warm but certainly not as hot as it was after the PC died.

That certainly sounds like it might be the problem, but does that mean that I can't copy from the CD drive to an SD or CF card? Howard

The pc has a number of fans for cooling cpu, graphic card and overal interior of case.

Get the screwdriver out and open the case check that all the fans are ok and free from dust etc.

The reason for copy cd to hd then hd to card with all not required programmes shut down is to lower the overall cpu demand at the point of copying to the card hopefully enough to get the copy made without a total black out until you get the cause fixed.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download this http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html .

EVEREST Home Edition is a freeware system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking solution for home PC users, based on the award-winning EVEREST Technology. It offers the world's most accurate system information and diagnostics capabilities, including online features, memory benchmarks, hardware monitoring, and low-level hardware information.

New features:
- Advanced hardware monitor with OSD panel and cooling fans monitoring
- Real-time alerting for hot-plug devices
- Portable Computer page to display mobile PC related information
- Bluetooth PAN support
- File Scanner filtering
- User benchmark results manager
- Sharpness test (Monitor Diagnostics)
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Timber and Lost Property. I downloaded the Everest software it gives you lots of good info, but at the moment I'm not sure how to use it. Anyway, thanks very much for all your help. :D :D

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but at the moment I'm not sure how to use it

Start off by clicking the + sign next to Computer, top left, then click on each item one at a time ands read the results. If I remember rightly, it will show if anything is wrong.

When you click on Sensor it will show you various component temperatures, mine at the moment shows Motherboard 25C and CPU 39C, and fan speed, my CPU fan shows 2679 rpm and Chassis fan 3125 rpm, . One may be showing a very slow speed or even zero rpm, in which case you would have confirmed what HowardUK has said.

You could have those details showing and then try to copy your maps and see if the temps or fan speeds change.

If you look to the bottom of the list 'Benchmark', clcik on the + sign then double click on Memory Read and wait for results, you'll see comparisons with other systems. Do the same for the other two.

It takes a little while to find your way around the programme but you'll soon get used to it and get to know what everything means. (I'm still learning with it). Confused
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Just an update, I telephoned the makers of my PC as it only 8 months old and explained the problem. The technician on the other end immediately said its a faulty power supply. I will send you one out tomorrow take the old one out and give it to the courier. At approx 10am this morning the courier turned up and we swapped power supplies. I installed and then copied the GB maps with success !! :D

Full marks to the PC company for service and many many thanks to timber for being spot on and for lost property in reccommending the software which I had running whilst the copying was in progress.

Many many thanks guys
:D :D

Howard
Active Synch 4.5

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: