Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which car systems have altitude display?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which car systems have altitude display?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Which car systems have altitude display? Reply with quote

As a weather enthusiast it would be useful to have an indication of altitude - which systems have the option to display this?

Many thanks

Peasemold
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the altiude display on an in car gps wouldnt be to accurate if it was using just the gps signal it gets a bit more techy than i could explain hopefully one if the other guys could explain it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin Nuvi 360 can display altitude. It's not an 'in car' system but can be used in the car. Don't know how accurate it is, and don't know about the other Garmin products.
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search revealed this thread that has a couple of useful links.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon shows altitude, but as has been said already this is mostly a waste of screen real estate.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Synth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would probably want altitude above mean sea level (MSL) or lowest astronomical tide (LAT); if you want this from a GPS system you will be disappointed.

GPS reports altitude from a mathematical model of the earth called WGS84; WGS84 is an ellipsoid. The problem is that the earth is not a perfect ellipsoid, it is slightly egg shaped. Also the magma is not homogeneous so there are areas where the average sea level is closer to the centre of the earth than others (strangely enough, at the Himalayas where the earth's crust is very thick the magma is thin). Also consider that MSL is influenced by the common rotation point of the earth/moon pair, it is not simply centred on the planet earth's centre. All this means that MSL & LAT are complex on a planet scale; WGS84 is a simple model.

The simple answer is forget GPS for altitude; get a pressure based altimeter and calibrate it when you can.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go stand in the corner thats way to techy for this time of night Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cough cough splat words like crust/very thick/and magma to much info for me in the morning Laughing Laughing Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synth wrote:
The simple answer is forget GPS for altitude

Some units (ie SiRF based ones) don't display the correct altitude but my Garmin reports the altitude with reasonable accuracy. Standing at mean sea level, the accuracy is normally within about +/- 20 feet.

I certainly wouldn't write it off as being useless, but it depends on what accuracy you are expecting. If you want to use it when you are up the hills at heights of a thousand feet or more then you can get a useful height reading and the few feet of measurement error are neither here nor there.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
...I certainly wouldn't write it off as being useless, but it depends on what accuracy you are expecting...

I would agree with that, and once you know the correction to apply, the reading is better still.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
I would agree with that, and once you know the correction to apply, the reading is better still.

The trouble is that it varies according to what part of the world you are in. I think my Holux receiver (SiRF II) gives a reading which is 60 meters higher than my Garmin Quest (which gives a fairly accurate reading in all the places I have tried it).

To add to the confusion, I think some Pocket PC programs do the correction for you if you tell them that you have a SiRF GPS.

I'm not sure how the SiRF III units perform. Do they misreport the height too? Anyone got a Nuvi? Does it report the correct height?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does that mean that that we need to knock off about 60m or 200ft in the UK to get a rough idea?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you need to find a calibration point (sea level or else) and then compare that with what the GPS is saying. The difference should be constant in the closer proximity (50 mile radius)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Synth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
go stand in the corner thats way to techy for this time of night Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

If you think that was technical consider this. The earth is wider at the equator than the poles so the water would run towards the poles, i.e. downhill. However, the earth rotates so the centrifugal force pulls the water back towards the equator. Gravity also pulls the water towards the earth's centre of mass so it doesn't drift off into space. Somewhere in the middle there is a balance between gravity and centrifugal force and that is mean sea level. Then the moon and sun get involved and that creates tides.

Where is the centre of the earth is a fundamental survey problem. The land is not smooth and the water moves, so where do you start. Do you include the moon and make it the centre of rotation? The GPS satellites move on an orbit around the planet these orbits are regular and a centre of orbit can be determined. It is around this centre that WGS84 was created; it was never intended to be even close to anything the water did.

You'd never guess I do a bit of survey work.

That's enogh; I'm off to the pub.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
So does that mean that that we need to knock off about 60m or 200ft in the UK to get a rough idea?

It can vary by +/- 100 meters depending on where in the world you are. The reading is about 47 meters too high in London.

Enter your lat/long into this website and it will tell you exactly. 8)

http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/wgs84/gravitymod/wgs84_180/intptW.html

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: