Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to free RAM on Go 910 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to free RAM on Go 910 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fjorko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: How to free RAM on Go 910 ? Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea on how to minimise the amount of RAM used by the Go 910..

Mine only has about 2MB free out of 64MB.......

I feel my map redraws are very slow an this may have something to do with it, because it used to be faster.....

Does any custom POI's have an impact on the map redraw speed ?

Also, why does the Go ONE draw maps much faster than the new x10 models...I wish it could be as smooth as the ONE ( I know GPS only updates every 1 sec but maybe some interpolation to make the map move smoother ??? - like on the ONE - how did they manage that ?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Change Preferences/ Enable, Disable POI's and de-select all the ones shown with a tick, this has just freed up the memory from an available 2MB to 3,5MB - however the interesting bit is if you reset the unit via a pin prod to the reset switch (read the manual as to where this is, please don't ruin the microphone, the actual location is near to the connector on the undeside of the device) following the reset the device now returns a free 15,6MB which then decreases to 3,8MB after a period of 20 seconds, culminating in a "phone not connected message"

In fairness I have not had any slow screen updates in use and have only tried the above out of interest following your query - Mike
Fjorko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it probably depends on what we assume to be slow huh ?? I guess mine to be about 2fps...

I have cleared all custom POI's and the speed is back to what it used to be when I bought it, but still not as smooth as the ONE which i saw in action in a taxi the other day.

What is so unique about the ONE that makes it's screen updates so smooth.....?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a smaller screen size (when viewed in pixel count) the processor has far less work to do rendering the screen updates (relative to the x10 units) - my 910 is running at around 4 FPS which in use I find acceptable - Mike
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn Text To Speech off that uses an high amount off RAM, Bluetooth also use's alot of RAM as doe's playing MP3's, POI use abit too also the fact that it reads all the map data from an internal harddrive rather than from an SD Card may also have an impact as to how fast the map data is read. Also if you have alot of MP3's or lots of other Data stored on the harddrive that may slow it down i,e when you have alot of file's on your pc it gets abit slow until you either delete some file's of do a disk defrag etc..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: