Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM 510-
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM 510-
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: TOMTOM 510- Reply with quote

Ho just got a TOMTOM 510 - Upgraded from a 300 after the 300 cradle broke and got my money back under 12 months warrenty. So i have gone for the 510

My question is... do you have to use the external mic for hands free calling or should the mic on the TOMTOM 510 work ok... the reason is when im in doors and tested it it worked ok just about and in the car it does not work, the other people on the phone cant hear me...?

Im going to install the mic but wanted to confirm that it is not a fault with mine and that the internal mic is rubbish?

POI

I want to add all my old POI to the 510 - are these installed in the same way?? ie (if i remeber right) BMP and OCX files, copy then into the dir *BG or what ever the map dir is called)

how many POI can you have on the 510

Also on when i had my 300 i had POCKETGPS speedcameras which seemed better than the preinstalled one on my 510,, any ideas??

can i install the P/GPS speedcamera on the 510 and disable the TOMTOM ones?? and install the voice to replace the bing for eg GATSO 30 --

One last thing regarding the 510 -- when on the motorway or in a 70 zone if you go faster than the speed limit... it goes red... which is fine are normal roads when you need to see the speed limit but on the motorway theres no need.... can that be disabled only??

one other final thing... i dont like the new mount compared to the 300 -- the mount does not hold its own weight,, so you have to put it far away from you so its resting on the dash?? and then its hard to reach while driving....is this the same with them all??? or is this mount faulty??

Thanks to all
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No their isn't a fault with your unit the built-in mic isn't that good (hence the supplied external mic) this was a problem on the 500 and 700 as well. You could try moving the unit closer to you somehow while in the car but your probably best using the external one. Yes the same speed camera files are compatable with the 510, The voice's are also compatable and you place them all in the same folders as you did on the 300 as for the Gatso sound file's you will have to download a new version relavent to the firmware version on your 510. As for the the mount it is not a faulty one their all the same.
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.. In regards to the mount and not holding its own wait... i cant see this been correct... reason i say this is that i have to put it where the windscreen meets the dash otherwise it flops over and i cant see the screen...(so the dash is holding it up rather that the mount... do you know what i mean..??

I cant see this been correct?? as when im sat driving i have to take seatbelt off and push out of seat and fully reach to the end on the dash to even touch it?? this is when i put it in the centre or to the right of the streering wheel.. (RHD)

if i had a small car... with a short dash i can see it been ok... but i dont...

Any ideas??

Cheers
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know what you mean mine did that in a friends car it seems to do it with the vibrations from the engine. It hasn't done it in my car as my car drive's a bit smoother but it only needs to vibrate a little to fall face down (whilst still on the mount) they all seem to be a bit weak as you will know if you look on some of the other post. So if you was to get a replacement chances are you would still have the same problem, They may release an updated mount later in the year. TomTom already know about this problem so hopefully they will release an updated mount and offer a free replacement.
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope they do!! mine does not even hold when the cars is turned off!! its very slack and moves left to right also,,,

its in my new Audi so its smooth..

The parts not fit for purpose... i have only had it 2 days..

Any advice. do you think i should take it back??
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose some will be weaker than others so yes I would take it back. I have no reason to take mine back as in my car it stays upright, Your windscreen maybe more verticle than mine as I have a Ford Galaxy and the screen is quite slanted. Their is an alternative mount available but then you cant charge while in the car. Hopefully a replacement mount will work better.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to double check with the mount is that the locking ring is fully clockwise, the first click only secures the sucker, the second click locks the position of the ball and socket thus securing the device into position, I have had my 910 mount release twice to data, on both ocasions the weather has been very hot and the locking ring had actually backed off releasing the ball/ socket allowing the unit to "droop" - Mike
MH51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 510 Speed Camera Help Reply with quote

Hi All.

A newbie to all this. I have my 1st TT 510. I have tried to to update it with the speed camera download but having problems. When I switch on the TT 510 and go to POI I do not see any. I know that the file patches to SD card are OK as I have added quite a few other POI to them from a CD and I can see them. Just thinking if there is a limit to how many POI I can add? Also how can i add the POI speed camera submit software to it.

Thanks
Mansukh
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a limit of 39 custom POI whith TomTom version 5, I have not yet tried pushing my 910 past this but from what you describe there is a limit.
Find the custom POI's you have added (the file extension is .ov2 and they reside in the map folder) - delete the ones you don't require, or look for a more consolidated POI file such as petrol stations, load one all encompasing file rather than dealer specific etc. hope this helps - Mike
shimmyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the POI limit has been increased to something like 100.

I too have a 510 and have not had any problems with the mount coming off or not holding its weight. And I use it in some old bumpy lorry's....Laughing Out Loud

Regards
MH51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all. Yes you were all correct. I deleted some POI which did the trick. At the moment it is holding 135 POI's no problems. When I fully test how many it will hold I will post it on here for the others.

Thanks
Mansukh
MH51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Has anybody done the London Congestion Zone POI or similar like the toll road preferences for the TT510 or not. If one is there please direct me to where I can find it.

Thanks
Mansukh Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toll charge information is stored within the unit, just set the Change Preferences/ Toll Road Preferences to the correct selection
"ask me when there are toll roads on my route" or
"always avoid toll roads" Not easy if you live there
"never avoid toll roads" costly
Mike
MH51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry if I was misunderstood. I have been using the Toll Charges built into the TT510. What i ask is that, is there a similar thing like it for the London Congestion Zone so that I can use it to avoid it when planning my journey in London.

Thanks
Mansukh
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is built in - set the device to warn if toll charge and try to plan a route into the centre of London, you will get a "Toll Charge" warning every time,
tomtom web site wrote:
Route choice: Plan your route to fit your requirements, such as: quickest, shortest, avoiding toll roads and congestion charge areas, by required arrival time, etc,
Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: