Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - over 200,000 incorrect postcodes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

over 200,000 incorrect postcodes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmitchell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: over 200,000 incorrect postcodes Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I was dismayed to find the CoPilot Postcode database has hundred of thousands possibles errors. I started studing it because my home postcode and over 200 others in my town are all in exactly the same location. When I checked there are over 440,000 postcodes with duplicated locations. I know that some locations have multiple postcodes but this seems very high. I have reported it to AKL and guess what they say they are investigate my claim. They have been investigating it for 16 weeks now without any other comment.

Idea My warning to all users to check the location of the postcode before you set off.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From personal experience I knew the situation was bad - I just didn't realise that it was quite as bad as that.

Have you contacted ALK about this? From personal experience I know that they are interested in hearing about the postcode errors. They buy the data in, so I presume that they are not happy about the poor (I am being polite) quality of the postcode data.

Hopefully, if it can be shown that there are so many errors to make the function of little use, we may be able to get a free patch to correct the problem.

I once had the oportunity to try out Destinator 5, which also uses Navteq data, and with the (admittedly limited) examples I tried, the results (or lack of them) in both applications were identical. Now I am not 100% sure, but did I read that the proplem has been fixed for Destinator 6, if so, it would appear that Navteq have now fixed the problem.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to admit that is not put me wrong yet as is accurate as tomtom iGO and medion,and my garmin i3

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
cmitchell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have reported it to AKL and to Navteq. Navteq claim it's not their postcode database, they only supplied the maps. However AKL say that it is Navteq postcode database !

Both have had the list of postcodes who's location are duplicated, for over 16 weeks.

I keep asking AKL to comment but the only say "they are investigating the claim with their postcode provider".

They have hinted that they do not issue patches for map or postcode errors.

Just to give you all an idea of the size of the problem:-

The postcode database has over 1.5 million entries over 440,000 postcodes have duplicate locations. Although I am sure that some of these duplicate locations are correct, I know that not all of them are correct. Out of my normal address book, I have a failure rate of 20%.

I am sure that other device all have their faults. I think any device that has the NAVTEQ postcodes will have the same problem.

I am very dis-appointed the AKL are not taking this problem very seriously.

Maybe a bit of bad publicity and they may get off their .... and do something about it.

We all live in hope.
johnbarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, more than half the postcodes I have wanted to use have been out by a few miles in CoPilot 6. They have been reported to ALK as they have come up.

Some of these cases were for addresses I know well, for others I now check against Multimap or AutoRoute 2006 before relying on the location given by CoPilot. A few wrong postcode locations have also turned up in AutoRoute 2006 so I have also reported them to MS.

Interestingly, all the postcode location failues I have found have been in rural areas (but then perhaps most of our CoPilot-guided journeys end in rural locations!).

John
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmitchell wrote:
...Out of my normal address book, I have a failure rate of 20%.

I am sure that other device all have their faults. I think any device that has the NAVTEQ postcodes will have the same problem.

I am very dis-appointed the AKL are not taking this problem very seriously...

I am not getting a sucess rate of 80% - nowhere near. Admittedly I used quite a small sample (10 picked at random) but even though all the addresses were over 10 years old 6 failed to find the exact postcode, but the 4 which did, reported a list of other streets in addition to the correct one, one listed so many, that I had to scroll down to select the correct address. Additionally, out of the 4 which did find the correct street, the position on the map wasn't always spot-on, and one was even in a nearby street (my home).

My quick test with Destinator 5 where the 'failures' were identical would back up your premise that all Navteq products are affected. But possibly only the ones from around the same time - possibly only one or two issues of the data. Perhaps someone using Destinator 6 will be able to say if the situation has improved.

As for ALK not taking this problem seriously; after having spoken with them about this and other matters over the phone, I was left with the distinct opinion that they are taking this very seriously.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil dont forget that a postcode can cover a considerable area at times as well as only one street

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
neil dont forget that a postcode can cover a considerable area at times as well as only one street

Definately not so in the cases I looked at, where each surrounding street has its own unique postcode.

I have heard many times that postcodes can cover a considerable area, but when I was postcoding addresses for computer systems, I never actually came accross any. And yes, it was as mind-numbingly boring as it sounds, and left me with an ability to hear a town and know the first four digits of the postcode for many years.

Unfortunately, so far, noboddy has been able to come up with any specific examples (and have I asked for them) which I would really like to have for testing purposes. I am even starting to wonder if this is an urban myth, or something which no longer applies.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: