Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help Deleted Wrong Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Deleted Wrong Files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azzurrafm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

I tried to add extra POI's to my tomtom one and have managed to delete some vital files from the Great_britain-Map instead now when i switch my tomtom on it says no map found!!! Is there any way to restore this or download the contents of the folder again???

Thanks Sad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you running pocket pc or GO and had you done a back up the the sd card

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
azzurrafm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

I'm such an idiot first of all i did not back up my SD card, I've never been so careless in the past. I'm running the tomtom go software as its a Tomtom ONE that i've bought, it was working great until i tried to delete some POI files from the Great_britain-map. Now i have no map at all?? Is there anything i can do???

Thanks

P.S I'm using a MAC but have access to a PC
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

azzurrafm wrote:
I'm such an idiot first of all i did not back up my SD card, I've never been so careless in the past. I'm running the tomtom go software as its a Tomtom ONE that i've bought, it was working great until i tried to delete some POI files from the Great_britain-map. Now i have no map at all?? Is there anything i can do???

Thanks

P.S I'm using a MAC but have access to a PC
Since, as far as I know, you can't get access to the file system on the One itself (i.e. using the touch screen interface), I presume that you must have deleted the files using a computer. If so, does the MAC have something similar to the Windows Recycle Bin? If so, can you retrieve the files from there?

If not, you might be able to find an "undelete" utility that would help BUT it is IMPERATIVE that you Exclamation DO NOT Exclamation write any other files to the SD card in the meantime. I know nothing about MACs, but using Windows, the files will still be there, but have been marked as deleted in the "table of contents". It is only when you write additional files that the data is overwritten.

Best of luck, and if you are lucky enough to get the files back Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation DO A BACKUP Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation .

If you have no success, I think that other people who have been in the same situation have been successful in getting help from TomTom, but I think it involved sending the SD card back to TomTom, before getting a replacement i.e. being without the One for a while.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats missing? AFAIK these are the map files.
cline.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat
faces.dat
Great_Britain.mms
Great_Britain.pna
Great_Britain-Map.cfg
mapinfo.dat
poi.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Free file recovery software has saved me a few times,it can also find lost drives and ones that have been formatted ..highly recommended

Dave
azzurrafm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

Thanks for the software but unfortunatly it didn't work, i still can't get my map back. I can't believe i didn't make a copy of my SD card. I have emailed tomtom but still waiting for a reply.

If anyone else knows how to restore the Great_Britain-Map then please let me know.

Thanks

connect2internet.db
connect2internet.so
AUTORUN.INF
DATA.CHK
connect2internetdb.ver
CurrentMap.dat

This is what i have in that folder (I'm using a mac)
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest did the software find the SD card in your card reader??

Dave
azzurrafm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

It did but the files were gibberish and i had tried to add other files to the SD card before. I think i need to some how delete the rest of the Great Britain file and reload it. Does anyone know how to do this???

Have found tomtom's phone number and will ring tomorrow but would prefer to solve this asap as need to use it.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far!
azzurrafm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

Spoke to tomtom this morning and they want 20-50 Euros to fix the problem as they won't accept accidental damage, so i'm going to try and take it back to comet as i purchased a 3 year warranty at the time.

If anyone is able to send me the Great_Britain-Map file i would really appreciate it.

Thanks
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please dont ask to be sent the map file as this i a violation of the license agreement

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
azzurrafm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

Sorry didn't realise!
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

azzurrafm wrote:
connect2internet.db
connect2internet.so
AUTORUN.INF
DATA.CHK
connect2internetdb.ver
CurrentMap.dat

This is what i have in that folder (I'm using a mac)

Sorry to say but even the windows recycle bin does not store these files when deleted.

Have you actually got the map folder (Great_Britain_Map) which should contain 13 files (unlucky for some), only the files you mention above normally reside in the root directory, not the map folder.

Also, try more/another file retrieval programs, just because one does not work does not mean they all wont. Try Isobuster, this is quite good.

If you are managing to retrieve the files, giberish or not, we can always tell you the names of the files and what size each one should be.

This might works if you can salvage all the files, providing they are not damaged, "which happens when the original space they occupied has been overwritten.
azzurrafm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I went to comet yesterday and they sorted it out for me i am so relieved.

Thanks again to every one who tried to help, i really appreciate it!! :D
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help Deleted Wrong Files Reply with quote

azzurrafm wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I went to comet yesterday and they sorted it out for me i am so relieved.

Thanks again to every one who tried to help, i really appreciate it!! :D
8)

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation BACK IT UP Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation BACK IT UP Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

8O Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: