Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XDA Mini V Mitac Mio A701 + Tom Tom Nav 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XDA Mini V Mitac Mio A701 + Tom Tom Nav 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostinuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: XDA Mini V Mitac Mio A701 + Tom Tom Nav 5 Reply with quote

OK, not sure if this is the best palce to ask this question, but let me give some introduction.

I currently have TT 5 installed on my Ipaq 5450. To supply GPS I then use a Road Angel classic with a Holux supplied lead to connect to the Ipaq to supply power to both units and the GPS signal to the Ipaq.

I then also from time to time use the bluetooth on the Ipaq to connect to Tom Traffic via my Ericsson K700i.

As you can imagine, my car looks like a branch of The Link!

What I want to do is cut down on the amount of kit in the car, and have come up with the following solutions (and therefore questions!):

1) o2 XDA mini s, with a Parrott 3400 GPS Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit. My query here is there is no mention of compatibility on Tom Tom website with the XDA mini s, does the windows mobile 2005 o/s mean that anything written for this system will function. Also if I use the Bluetooth connection on the Parrott with the XDA to provide the GPS would I get the TT instructions through the car speakers, and what would happen if I got a call would this over ride the TT instructions.

2) Mitac Mio A701 (built in GPS) will my current version of TT5 be compatible. Again if I had a Bluetooth kit installed, would the TT instructions come throught the car speakers, and what would happen with any voice calls?

Oh what to do!?!?!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, I appreciate your comment re "my car looks like a branch of the Link" - too many wires, holders etc.

If you do go for the XDA Mini-S you will need a Bluetooth equipped GPS unit, as for the TomTom it must be version TomTom Navigator version 5,21 to get it working on this device (this is avail as a free download from www.tomtom.com ).

Audio routing, the phone will mute any TomTom instructions while the device is in use as a phone, as to the TomTom sound comming through the Parrot I cannot answer this.
The audio mute function of TomTom when using it installed on a phone will behave the same way on all devices - on some phones you can route the nav instructions through the Bluetooth, but this isn't always the case - Mike
lostinuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the ultra prompt response!

Noting your comments, the Parrott 3400 GPS would provide the Bluetooth GPS for the XDA, so I assume Bluetooth connectivity would mean no compatability issues there.

Also then, I would install my TT5 then go online to download the v5,21 from the TT web site?

Do you know of any website address for Parrott, all I am finding is dealers?

Finally I am not sure about R66, as I am firmly convinced TT leads the way in sat nav, upgrades etc, European maps (I travel abroad frequently).

Again many thanks for the prompt response.

Cheers Phil
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a seriously expensive gadget, looks like a nice bit of kit though. I would like to know what type of GPS reciever is employed within the unit before spending that sort of money, if its not one of the modern high sensitivity units (SiRF-III) I wouldn't touch it.

The Parrot web site has very little information about the GPS capabilities of this unit. http://www.parrot.biz/united_kingdom/index.php

For installing the TTN5,21 I would simply download the upgrade and install that to the device, as it is a standalone package in its own right. - Mike
lostinuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.

The Parrott is a 12 channell receiver and is sirfII, which has been putting me off.

Anyway I have just got a sirfIII off ebay for £30 so am prob gonna go for the XDA as the connectivity is better wifi as well as BT. A BT GPS and XDA with its own installed car kit appears to be the best next option.

Cheers

Phil
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Parrot 3300 combined receiver and car kit (previous version with smaller screen) for some time with my Ipaq 6340 combined PDA and phone and TT5. It is an excellent piece of kit and works very well.

I have it wired so that the output from both the sat nav and the phone comes through the car audio (after muting it). So I can control volume of sat nav instructions camera warnings and phone calls using the controls on the steering wheel.

When a phone call comes in (or you make one) the audible sat nav instructions and warnings are muted as well, but these still show on the screen of the PDA.

I use a Brodit mount that holds the Ipaq and charges it and have that built in as well, so I have no trailing wires at all.

I would recomend professional fitting of this bit of kit to get the best out of it and make the neatest job. I used www.justcarkits.co.uk in Slough and they were excellent. When I last looked a couple of weeks ago they had my unit for £175 including fitting and the 3400 for about £240. Both great prices considering I paid £275 back last summer.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: