Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Found - Method to transfer Nav 5 Favorites between Palm's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Found - Method to transfer Nav 5 Favorites between Palm's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Found - Method to transfer Nav 5 Favorites between Palm's Reply with quote

Laughing
I'm using TomTom Navigator 5 on a Palm TX. I created a method to transfer your Favorites to another Palm, so that BOTH of the Palms have the same Favorites. The TomTom Navigator license lets two separate Palms use the software and GPS device. These steps were needed so that my finance can drive around using my backup Palm and TomTom when I'm at work.

With this method you do NOT have to make your Favorites into Points Of Interest. They stay as Favorites.

Obviously, you first, take a COMPLETE BACKUP of the "other" Palm via HotSync, so that you can put everything back if you make a mistake.

You can just share the same SD Expansion card where you have the TomTom maps loaded, or you can buy another one for the second Palm. I have a Windows PC with an SD Card reader, so I bought another card, and just made a copy. This way, we don't have to remember to switch cards (and we have a backup in case one is lost).

Here are the steps to transfer your TomTom Favorites:

1. Insert your Palm SD Expansion Card with the maps into the PC. Using Windows Explorer, open the card to the "x:\Palm\Launcher" folder.

2. In another copy of Windows Explorer, open your Palm Backup folder. On my PC, it is in the folder "C:\Program Files\Palm\AC\Backup".

3. Find and highlight all of the TomTom Config files. They will have a name something like "xxxxxx-map_cfg.PDB". The "xxxxx" will be the actual Map Name. For example, "southeast-map_cfg.PDB" is the name of my favorites for the Southeastern United States.

4. Copy all of the "xxxxx-map_cfg.PDB" files you highlighted in the Palm Backup Folder to the "x:\Palm\Launcher" folder given in Step #1. Make sure you COPY them, do NOT MOVE them!!!

5. Now, insert the SD Expansion Card back in the Palm. Exit TomTom Navigator on the Palm and instead access the Palm Applications screen.

6. Access the Palm Application Screen "Menu" and then the "Delete" option. Select the SD Card in the "Delete From" drop down.

7. You should now see all of the "xxxxxx-map.cfg" files you copied in Step #4 above. DO NOT DELETE THEM!!! This step just verifies that they are there. Just press the "Done" button.

8. Now, access the Palm Application Screen "Menu" and then the "Copy" option.

9. Select the SD Card in the "Copy From" drop down. You should see "Navigator" listed. The individual configuration files will NOT be listed, but are all 'lumped' together under this one "Navigator" heading.

10. Highlight the "Navigator" file and then press the "Copy" button. The Palm might tell you that "A copy of this application already exists on the device. Do you want to replace it?". Press the "Yes" button.

11. Now for the test. Take the second Palm to the car and access TomTom navigator. Using "Browse Maps" (or "Navigate to"), make sure that all of the Favorites work.

12. Lastly, you might want to re-do Step #7 above, but this time DELETE the "xxxxx-map.cfg" files.

Enjoy.....
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Found - Method to transfer Nav 5 Favorites between Palm' Reply with quote

CAK wrote:
Laughing
The TomTom Navigator license lets two separate Palms use the software and GPS device. ..

No it does not, at least not here in the UK, and especially if used by two people. If you put it on a second device you should remove it from the first.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
CAK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the following link on TomTom's website.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&FID=2153

Embedded in it are the following words:

"Please note that the TomTom Licensing agreement affords each customer two concurrent active installations of Navigator only. If you have only activated TomTom Navigator once in the past you can apply for the second activation code from www.ttcode.com as long as 7 days have passed since the original activation."

Note that I also found these exact words in another location on the website which was NOT related to the repair of a Palm (Pocket PC).

If you think about it, there is only one GPS receiver. Therefore, even if I were to install the software on 10 Palms, I'd still be able to use only one of them at a time. As a matter of fact, the GPS receiver will only talk to a single Bluetooth Palm at a time. The GPS receiver is sort of like a book. Only one person can be reading it at a time. You lend it out to a friend, you have to wait until the friend gives it back.

Cheers.....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually despite that text, my understanding of TomTom's licence is that it may only be installed on ONE device at any one time.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Dutch interpreter did not fully understand the meaning of the word "concurrent". You will see further up the page that the words say something different.

In any event that is advice only. The legal position is set out in the End User Legal Agreement (EULA) that you have with Tom Tom. That's the contract with Tom Tom that you agreed to when you clicked "confirm" when you first installed the software.

This can be found here http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/legal/eula/EULA-English-NO_US%20CAN.pdf

Look at the very first Clause

" This EULA grants a licence that permits you to use the software, provided the software is installed on only one computer or hardware device at any time and provided the software is combined with only one navigation system. This licence is non-exclusive and non-transferrable."

As I said before the legal position is that you can only use the software on one device, and the method you have suggested to overcome that restriction is a breach of your EULA, and probably illegal too.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: