Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Not sure which is best for my setup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Not sure which is best for my setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillJitsu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Not sure which is best for my setup Reply with quote

I owned a Garmin Etrex Legend GPS receiver and recently my friend lost it. He has offered to buy me another one. I use it to connect to my laptop when I go on trips in the car. I use Microsoft Streets & Trips with it. I was curious if anything newer and better had come out in the past year since I bought the Garmin. I looked on their website and didn't see anything particularly great. Is there a better receiver to get for what I do? I read a few posts about the Bluetooth GPS units and apparently people are having a lot of problems with them. Is there a good one out there? Will it work with Streets & Trips? Do I have to buy a special connector for the laptop? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer these questions for me. Thanks Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends if you have been happy with your cable connection or if you want to go wireless. Probably not much of a problem when you use a laptop for navigation - you got already plenty of wires to take care of :D

Anyhow, there are some good BlueTooth receivers out there, their quality and durability is improving, and they all work with any application that accepts NMEA standard streams.

If your laptop is not yet BlueTooth enabled then you need either a USB BT dongle or a CF/PC card . Those can be had quite cheaply nowadays.

Hope this helps.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
WillJitsu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! My laptop does not currently support bluetooth. It would be nice to try this kind of setup out. Where can I look at the USB dongles that are available? Also, what is a good brand receiver to get? Does Garmin make a bluetooth one? I want one that supports most of the features that the Etrex Legend has. I don't know much about any other brand besides Garmin though. Thanks again.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Not sure which is best for my setup Reply with quote

WillJitsu wrote:
I owned a Garmin Etrex Legend GPS receiver and recently my friend lost it. He has offered to buy me another one. I use it to connect to my laptop when I go on trips in the car. I use Microsoft Streets & Trips with it. I was curious if anything newer and better had come out in the past year since I bought the Garmin. I looked on their website and didn't see anything particularly great. Is there a better receiver to get for what I do? I read a few posts about the Bluetooth GPS units and apparently people are having a lot of problems with them. Is there a good one out there? Will it work with Streets & Trips? Do I have to buy a special connector for the laptop? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer these questions for me. Thanks Smile

There are always newer/better hardware.
But do you need it?
I do not think so.
If you want to use a standalone GPS, newer is alway better.
For connecting to a laptop, any old one (Legend is a lot better than just any old one) will do the job for you.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillJitsu, the Legend is a good receiver, but it really depends on what you want to get out of the GPS Receiver. If you might want to load MapSource CD's onto it, and still like the eTrex range, then personally I would go for the Vista as it gives more memory support for this. If you would prefer a bigger screen, then a GPSMap76 or GPSMap76S. There's always Magellan, the Meridian range is good and offers SD card storage support for maps which gets over the Garmin limitation of a maximum 24mb memory for maps.

If you're happy with the Legend, I would stick with it. If the Legend worked with your laptop, then all other GPS Receivers will.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: