Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera SW Improvement Suggestion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera SW Improvement Suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Camera SW Improvement Suggestion Reply with quote

I tried using the Camera DB before on my PDA, and gave up because it's basically too much hard work. I have just purchased a TTG910 so I thought i'd give it a go again. I'm seeing the same issues. I can only comment on my experiences of an Origin B2 , the routes I have travelled and the cameras I have encountered.

Rather then getting bogged down with many issues I have looked at one area that I beleive could be resolved, relatively simply.

It relates to Motorway 'Mobile' cameras. These are either on overpasses or in Police parking areas at the side of the road. Because many MWay mobile cameras are reportedly on overpasses you cannot use the "only on route" option. This results in many false reports of cameras 100's of yds way on side roads. These warnings are an unnecessay distraction.

On a recent journey to the Edinburgh show, some of the Mobile cameras reported on overpasses, clearly cannot be correct. The police will only ever sit on a overpass where they can easily join the motorway and have a clear view of the approaching traffic. Many mobiles are not in such locations. One Mobile location on the M6 was actually a cattle bridge, no juctions for 2 miles either side! I'm going to try and locate this so I can specifically report it. Unfortunately PIO Capture wasnt installed.

Could this be improved? I believe so.

1) So the "Only on Route" method will work. Place ALL the reported 70 MPH mobiles on the motorway carriageway nearest the overpass, one either side. This will enable the 'Only on route' function to work. Could give it a name Mobile Overpass.

2) For police sitting areas on the side of the Mway could be called Mobile Roadside or similar. This same description can be used for normal roads, and police 'Hidey Hole' type locations.

3) For new submissions, refer overpass cameras with no junctions in close proximity as these are probably wrong. Maybe TMC type cameras or census takers?

Just getting to grip with the POI Capture SW, so I will be contributing updates. I do want to use the camera SW on my TTG so I can at least get rid of one set of wires if nothing else!

Thanks
SatMap
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your suggestion that mobiles cameras are only sited on overpass bridges where they can join the motorway is not correct.

There are two types of mobile trap. One that records the info, which is relayed to a waiting police car/bike that then chases and stops you immediately. For that type you do normally need an adjacent on ramp.

However the other type merely takes your photo and the first you know is when you get your NIP through the post. That second type does not need an adjacent on ramp.

All the mobile sites on the database are sites where members have seen mobile cameras in the past. I for one would rather have 10 false alarms rather than miss the one where the cameras are operating.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Camera SW Improvement Suggestion Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:

On a recent journey to the Edinburgh show, some of the Mobile cameras reported on overpasses, clearly cannot be correct. The police will only ever sit on a overpass where they can easily join the motorway and have a clear view of the approaching traffic. Many mobiles are not in such locations. One Mobile location on the M6 was actually a cattle bridge, no juctions for 2 miles either side! I'm going to try and locate this so I can specifically report it. Unfortunately PIO Capture wasnt installed.

Thanks

They don't need access to the motorway, by the time you are close enough to see them they have allready taken your photograph if you are over the limit.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Camera SW Improvement Suggestion Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Fraserp wrote:

Thanks

They don't need access to the motorway, by the time you are close enough to see them they have allready taken your photograph if you are over the limit.

I supose the cattle walking from from one farm field accross the bridge to the other were the officers in charge! Wink BTW, joke!
SatMap
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take on board your comments about about different camera usage, and they can have chase vehicles. Temp locations usually with vehicles and officers hundreds of yards ahead are more commonly used off Mways.

Investigating I've discoverd the following 'mobile' \ non fixed types that may be of interest.

Autovision - strips embedded in the road
Autopatrol - advanced, tripod or vehicle mounted
DS2\Truvelu - Accompanied by officers
Hand Held Radar - Accompanied by officers
ProViDa - incar evidence, driver behaviour evidence, prepare for a lecture.
Robic - handheld , advanced stopwatch no video, again a chat!
Speedmaster - Accompanied by officers
The Minigatso with Vid are rarley used.

The two other points are still relevant, I hope. Well, it was when I spoke to the PGPSW guys at the show and asked to post. Placing them on the MWay rather than the bridge will stop unnecessary "Off route" notifications.

My present system OriginB2, although it doesn't allow routing, does allow you select Motorway, then only the MWay cameras are referred to. Again, this reduces the false warnings. Smile
SatMap
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO have "Warn only when on route" selected, and I DO get the notifications of mobile sites on overpasses. So I think your suggestion #1 is already being done.

Just had a look on my unit, and it is.
For example, browse the UK map for MOBILE:7599@70. You will see it is for a mobile site monitoring the M25 on the B2032 overpass.
However, the actual POI has been placed on the M25 itself and also paired with another entry (MOBILE:11938@70) for the other carriageway.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brought this to light was the numerous off track warnings I was receiving on my journey to Edinburgh. When I switched to 'On route' several were not warned of.

When I spoke to the GPSW guy he said I should post and make a request that this happens in future. It more a process with the people who update the camera DB to ensure the data makes sense.

Really, for all such overhead locations there should be two, one for each carriageway.

Maybe I was unfortunate but between Preston and Greta on the M6 I encountered several like this, I then got bored and relied up my B2. Only reporting what I've seen.

Try: Mobile@7135@70 plus 6605, 6240, 6246, 8043, 7846.....

I have just spent some time scanning the Mways and do see many that are 'On Route' but many are not. Please can this be a standard?
SatMap
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one other reason you might not have got the alerts, My Go-910 on the road seems to miss out the audio prompt of the camera, but it does display the flashing icon etc. No audio makes it easy to miss the camera alert. The mp3 player side of the unit just continues without pausing for a warning, unless either:
1/ A nav voice prompt has occured since the last warning
or
2/ A different camera spoken alert is triggered, when compared to the previous instuction.
Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a serious bug......
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom strikes again........

Seen that on the M60, thought it was too many camera in close proximity....
SatMap
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot is down to the software and other utilities in use as to how many warnings you get and if or not some are missed, also how configurable your warning program is. I know mine picks up everything in the database, but it has the ability to announce by distance or time to the location also the detection angle can be altered both to the left and right for each category of POI installed.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera SW Improvement Suggestion Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:
On a recent journey to the Edinburgh show, some of the Mobile cameras reported on overpasses, clearly cannot be correct.
One Mobile location on the M6 was actually a cattle bridge, no juctions for 2 miles either side!
Any further info on where this is located? I've checked all the mobile locations between J44 (M74) & J30 (M61) and I can't spot a location at a cattle bridge - unless you have some "muckle great coos" in the NW?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was north bound, narrow bridge, mobile warning. By that time i'd really given up.

With the off route warnings going off every few mins, despite selecting only on route (apparently a TT fault).

It was just strange to see. Now struggling with POI capture on the Go910. Despite being told at the show that the SW was tested on a 910, just seen a posting that states it's bug ridden!
SatMap
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:
It was north bound, narrow bridge, mobile warning. By that time i'd really given up.

With the off route warnings going off every few mins, despite selecting only on route (apparently a TT fault).

It was just strange to see. Now struggling with POI capture on the Go910. Despite being told at the show that the SW was tested on a 910, just seen a posting that states it's bug ridden!
I think that should read as "is still under development" Exclamation

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: