Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions Reply with quote

Hi there. I am new to the forum and have been looking with interest at the various threads. They have stimulated my interest and raised some questions.

I am thinking of buying a PDA with GPS and voice navigation sometime in the future. It will mainly be used for GPS navigation in the car, but I would like to be able to take it walk-about when on holiday. I realise that BT is better for mobility but have concerns with the reports I have heard where it loses BT connection.

I think that the software I would use would be TomTom Navigator 2, is the same software used whether or not it is BT or Serial? What I am thinking here is that if I got the GPSmart I could connect using either BT or Serial connections depending on situation. Is this possible?

What models of Ipaq can connect using both methods?

Would it be better to get a GPS jacket?

Is it better to go for a faster processor speed? - I assume it is as it is with PC's but I don't know much about PDA's so thought I better check.

Thanks in advance.

Andy. :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

my personal opinion is that Bluetooth receivers will soon be mature enough to completely replace the serial cable based ones. Another bonus is that you don't have to worry about the right cable connector (there is no standard for that among the Pocket PCs

So it doesn't matter which iPAQ you choose as long as it has BlueTooth. :-)

TomTom is an excellent street routing software, and it also works decently for city walking. If you plan to do some "outdoor" walking then you may have to look into gettting a topographical software package as well - street routing software simply is not designed to cover that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz

Thanks for the reply. I realise that BT can only improve but I don't want to be in the position of spending a lot of money on a system which isn't reliable. This is why I wanted to know if it was possible to use either BT or serial connections depending on use.

Is the GPSmart the only BT receiver with a serial connection as well?

Another question I thought of. Is it possible to change the settings in TT2 to miles rather than kilometres for the UK. On the demos I have seen they all seem to be in kilometres.

Regards

Andy.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, TomTom can change the settings to miles as well (I am using it with miles) - go to File...properties...general...units

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: