Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom One Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom One Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakartakid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Tomtom One Maps Reply with quote

Hi chaps, I'm relatively new to the world of GPS, but recently bought a Tomtom One as I always seemed to get lost using Microsoft Autoroute directions. I am holidaying in Italy this summer and I'm wondering if I bought a second hand genuine Tomtom SD card covering Italy which I have seen, if all I would need to do is insert it into my Tomtom One upon crossing the border into Italy. Would the card need to be registered or the like? Also, using this card would I also be able to navigate western Europe using the major roads?

Any help/advice gratefully received.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You would be better off buying the card from TomTom themselves. The fact that is original and not a copy is of no importance, you will need to activate the maps again on the ttcode.com webside.

From a practical point of view what you should do is try the card before you buy it, to see if you can do the activation, if it works, then fine (you are still breaking the law, but, smeh). If you can't try before you buy then steer clear.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:

From a practical point of view what you should do is try the card before you buy it, to see if you can do the activation, if it works, then fine (you are still breaking the law, but, smeh). If you can't try before you buy then steer clear.

Nobody is going to do that - what's to stop you activating the card, copying it and giving back the original saying the activation didn't work?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyHoyle wrote:
MarkHewitt wrote:

Nobody is going to do that - what's to stop you activating the card, copying it and giving back the original saying the activation didn't work?

I was thinking along the lines of attempting to activate it in front of the person you are buying it from. Actually meeting someone face to face is unusual these days but it can happen ;)
jakartakid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the card is for Tomtom GO. Are the cards specific to the different models, or should it work on all models that take an SD card? Also I read somewhere that if you possess original software then additional maps should not require registration, would that be correct or am I barking up the wrong tree/mad?

Thanks again, Tim
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakartakid wrote:
I forgot to mention that the card is for Tomtom GO. Are the cards specific to the different models, or should it work on all models that take an SD card? Also I read somewhere that if you possess original software then additional maps should not require registration, would that be correct or am I barking up the wrong tree/mad?

Thanks again, Tim

The maps should work on all devices. The maps will require registration.
jakartakid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again chaps, re my original query...second hand Italy maps for my Tomtom One. I now have the card, I have activated it ok on the Tomtom website and have been given an activation code. The problem is...how do I activate it? I have been through all the options on my device, I have tried inserting the card and switching on the device, but it freezes on the opening screen and has to be reset.

Any ideas?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new card will be pre-activated. You don't need to do anything unless it asks you to. As long as it's working OK; that's it!
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
jakartakid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a used card for Tomtom Go, I'm just wondering if it is pre Tomtom One, and thus incompatible hence the problem of the opening screen freezing and going no further.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a sd card from a go will not work in the one, however you could try placing the map file onto a SD card with the other files from the original one SD card, ie everything apart from the GB map file. You would probably have to activate it, but since its original it shouldn't matter.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakartakid wrote:
Hi again chaps, re my original query...second hand Italy maps for my Tomtom One. I now have the card, I have activated it ok on the Tomtom website and have been given an activation code. The problem is...how do I activate it? I have been through all the options on my device, I have tried inserting the card and switching on the device, but it freezes on the opening screen and has to be reset.

Any ideas?

When you attempt to switch to that map the activation screen should appear.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, combining the two sets of thoughts above: what you probably need to do is:
1 ) Get a SECOND copy of your original SD card working on a new (big) card, then,
2 ) Copy the Italian map folder onto that card.
3 ) NOW it should boot up and allow you to swap maps in the menu, and at that point it will probably ask you to enter the activation code.

OR if you don't want to buy another card and you don't mid switching cards at the border:
1 ) Copy the Italian map folder and all its contents from the non-working card to a safe place on your PC. Be very careful that you have done that as you are about to lose the originals.

2 ) Reformat the new card and reinstall the TT software onto it (either from your original card, a backup or from the TomTom website.

Of course, before doing ANYTHING, make sure you have backed up EVERYTHING from your working GB card to your PC, in case you make a hash of it and wreck that one.

3 ) Itr should now boot but say "No maps found, so now copy the Italian map folder back onto that card, restart and and at that point it will probably ask you to enter the activation code.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to the first option. copy over the italian map folder.
You will be asked to activate it when you try to select the new map.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: