Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT910 Audio Books
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT910 Audio Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: TT910 Audio Books Reply with quote

Hi

I don't have a TT910 yet but would like to get one ASAP but, I have a question about the MP3 player functionality first. Maybe one of you owners out there can answer me a question.

I listen to audio books in the car and being audio books they can be days long. Additionally, some mp3 files can be hours long. So a key feature of an MP3 player for audio books is the ability to remember where playback was suspended after a power cycle. It needs to remember which file was being played and where in the file playback was suspended.

It doesn't need to cope with a power off but needs to have a pause function that will survive a power cycle.

So, does the TT910 fit the bill? Does a pause survive a power cycle and does the unit return to the same file and position in the file.

Regards
Mark
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have just tested this and it does to a fashion.

If you are in the audio book menu with the file playing and then you pause and then turn off without going back to the map view it will remember the file and where it was last paused as when the unit powers back up it takes you back to that screen.

However if you play the mp3 or audio book then pause it and then go back to the map screen and then power off it doesnt remember it.

So if you want it to remember where you were at when you power off just make sure you are in the relevant screen otherwise it wont.

Regards

Peter
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have been using the full auio books downloaded from audible and have had different results from stated above.

I normally start the audiobook then chage the screen to navigation whilst listening,

No matter how many times its turned off even reset using the reset pin it has remembered where I am in the book (It backtracks maybe 30seconds depending on the audiobook sometimes). but I have never found it lose its place or go all the way back to the begining of the book.

I stress this is using the full audible books from audible.com other formats may vary, but I have found these books to be great and the sound quality superb for smallish files (16 Hour Book 300mb)

Cheers

Richard
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific Thanks.

As I don't have one yet I can't try it...(but hopefully I will find a shop today that has one so I can play, Maplin maybe)....but how easy or difficult is it to get into the Audio Book menu (very interesting that there is an audio book menu) and pause?

Also, an unrelated question but does the TT910 come with a car power adaptor when you buy the 910, or is it an extra purchase.

Thanks

Mark
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Audiobook menu is 2 presses from the main screen,

But you dont need to pause it.. when you turn off the ignition the TomTom 910 powers down and saves your position, so when you power up the ignition again the 910 comes on, you then press the audio menu, then audio books then select your book and it starts playing from where you left off. There is no need to pause it unless you want to.

This is based on using the official .aa encloded audiobooks from audible.com I understand these are the only ones that work in the audiobooks menu, anything in mp3 format with just play as a song in the standard mp3 menu

Hope that helps

Cheers

Richard
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didnt see the last bit of your post

Yes it comes with everything you need, Car adaptor, home adaptor, even a carry bag & a lead to connect it to your car stereo if it has an AUX IN!, for once TomTom have gone overboard with what they supplied!
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats wierd as i was also testing with a file supplied by audio, freaky.
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrh

So it only plays .aa format files as audio books. That's a problem because ALL of my audio books are in .mp3 format. I have never seen .aa format files. I generally produce mp3s from the audio book CDs I have you see.

Maybe there is a conversion utility I can find...

Mark
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

.aa is a propriatory format of audible as far as I know, I did have a little scoot around the net there seem to be format convertors out there for .aa to mp3 and back tho.

As far as I understand it standard MP3 audiobooks will play no problem just that you need to put them and play them from the standard MP3 player interface, If you want I will put an MP3 audiobook on mine this morning and let you know how that perfoms as to display and coping with power downs etc.

Cheers

Richard
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Thanks, but I have one of my own now. You are right .aa is proprietory and as far as I can see there is no mp3 to aa convertor out there.

I have put my audio books into the MP3 folder and they play fine, but as was mentioned earlier, the position in the file is only remembered if you power off whilst in the player screen. If you are in the navigate screen when you power off, powering on again will only allow you to return to Mp3 playing through the choose a file route. Which screws things up.

Anyway, I will just have to make do with the mp3 playing and hope I don't power off in the navigator screen.

The only think I need to work out now is how to view the terrain maps.

Thanks for all your efforts this morning people.

Mark
vickyarcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperm

You can resume a MP3 file playing from where you left off.

When the unit powers off, (with either the MP3 file paused or playing) it will remember the postion of the file.

On powering back up, tap the centre of the screen, tap music and photos, tap TomTom jukebox, now DON'T tap any of the six icons, instead tap the Resume button in the bottom left corner, the file will continue where it left off (this works for single MP3 files and Playlists, haven't got any audiobooks activated so can't say for those, but would imagine it's the same)

HTH

Vicky
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific thanks Vicky.....

How do you get those lovely Terrain maps now then please? I've been browsing all night and can't work out how, but can see pictures of the maps.

Mark
vickyarcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the Goggle Earth style maps?

If so just go to browse map on the Tomtom and zoom right out.

Vicky
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did and you are right thanks. Hardly Google Style maps though, but that's no problem.

So all in all I am thrilled with both my 910 and all the help you people have given me.

No to figure out this wireless stuff.....:-)

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: