Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacedMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: New cameras Reply with quote

Hi, Are you going to start including bus lane, Pink eye and DS2 cameras in the database?

When my system finds a pink eye it shows it as a gatso.

Spaced-Man
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truvelo (pink eye, if you prefer) are in the Gatso database but are identified as Truvelo. DS2 are covered by Mobile, I suspect and Bus Lane cameras are being considered as an addition.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus lane cams have been talked about in the last couple of days over in the TomTom part of the forum , HERE
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure bus lane cameras should be included in the database since I can think of no safety advantage in knowing their location.

I have similar reservations about the red light cameras but the genie is out of the bottle with those so to speak.

It seems to me that when the Government banned the camera detectors but left the GPS systems alone it was purely because there was an argument to be made that pointing out the location of accident black spots would help road safety.

IMHO if you start down the road of identifying the location of all types of enforcement camera the police etc. are likely to start asking for the subject to be looked at again.

Nick.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nickwolf,

Nickwolf wrote:
I am not sure bus lane cameras should be included in the database since I can think of no safety advantage in knowing their location.

As far as I know, there are no bus lane cameras in my area. In fact I don’t think that I’ve ever seen one whilst I’ve been driving. I live in the country and fortunately have no reason to drive very often in any built up area. I certainly don’t (and will not drive) in London, which is where I suspect that there are a few bus lane cameras. However if I were to drive in an area where there are bus lane cameras then I would want to know. If there is a need for these bus lane cameras then surely there’s a safety issue involved? What about having buses suddenly pull out in front of you with no warning?

Don’t get me wrong, I never drive in bus lanes (there are some near where I work).

Nickwolf wrote:
I have similar reservations about the red light cameras but the genie is out of the bottle with those so to speak.

If a set of traffic lights have one or more red light cameras then it’s because there is or has been a problem with red light jumpers for whatever reason. Therefore I like to be warned of red light cameras as I approach set of traffic lights in case somebody jumps a red light when it’s green for me. I’d rather have a few seconds warning to be alert to that possibility, than appear in a photograph from the red light camera with somebody driven into the side of my vehicle.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I see no justification for bus lane or box junction cameras to be included. I also disagree with red light cameras except the Monitron versions that are dual purpose and can be used as speed cameras also.

Red light cameras were included (perhaps unwisely) at an early stage and so will remain for the time being, the others will require discussion!
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the great thing .. the way I get the Garmin POI data is that its all spilt up ... IF I decide I dont want redlight cameras ... I just dont load them... the key thing about data is that the core "data base" should "have everything" and then be flexible enough so that people can take / use whats important to THEM
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are missing the point a little bit, it is not a question of using that part of the database or not but whether it should be there at all.

Since having knowledge of which traffic lights have red light cameras does help to improve the safety of your driving I find it questionable and obviously the same would apply to bus lane cameras etc.

I think if the database can be seen as a system for avoiding enforcement cameras, and not something to assist you to drive safely, the police and other agencies might find cause to question whether it should be able to exist.

Nick.
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't have a strong view of bus lane or redlight camera benefits. I have a slight preference for them not being included.

In fact I don't download the redlight cameras at all.

Having speed cameras is clearly a safety benefit if they tend to be present in blackspot areas. That they keep my licence clean is also a good thing Smile As I'm sure you all know it is all too easy to exceed the limit by just a few mph.

Kind regards,

Mark
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
Since having knowledge of which traffic lights have red light cameras does help to improve the safety of your driving I find it questionable and obviously the same would apply to bus lane cameras etc.

I meant to say:

Since having knowledge of which traffic lights have red light cameras does NOT help to improve the safety of your driving......

Embarassed Embarassed
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would have to agree with most of the other posts- red light cameras and bus lane cameras probably should not be in there.

we all know you should not jump a red light and you should not go in bus lanes when they are in force, so the safety issue is not really applicable with them.

Adek
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adek wrote:

we all know you should not jump a red light and you should not go in bus lanes when they are in force, so the safety issue is not really applicable with them.

Adek

But isn't that like saying we all should know not to exceed the speed limit?

Kind regards,

Mark
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what people are saying about you shouldn't be warned about something you should never do by accident such as go in a bus lane or jump a red light, wheras even the most compliant of us have sometimes inadvertantly gone over the speed limit.

However, I feel strongly that there is a valid reason for including red light cameras. While you still have time to procede at amber when you are close to the line as the lights change, just as a safe driver should, I have all too often seen drivers do an (unsafe) emergency stop when it is clearly unwise to do so. I for one welcome the warning that I am approaching lights where the car in front may suddenly stop rather than pull up in a controlled manner!
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
I for one welcome the warning that I am approaching lights where the car in front may suddenly stop rather than pull up in a controlled manner!
Surely, just the fact that you are approaching traffic lights behind another vehicle is warning enough?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since having knowledge of which traffic lights have red light cameras does NOT help to improve the safety of your driving......

If a junction has Red Light cameras then there is obviously a problem with people jumping the lights. I'd like to know which junctions have these problems not so i can avoid being caught but so i can make sure someone isn't about to jump the lights on me. Funnily enough it seems the ones without the RL cameras are the ones where the problem exists but then again maybe that's because they don't have the cmaeras....

Personally I'd like to see ALL traffic lights have red light cameras.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: