Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go Product Code
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go Product Code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go Product Code Reply with quote

Phoned TomTom today becuase my mate who I bought the TomTom of can prove that he owns the tomtom by producing a Bank Statement, they still told me that cannot provide me with a product code, however said that if you buy a map from tomtom direct I will receive a new product code UK apparantly cost £50 but I did confirm with her 3 times that she is sure that if I buy a Map from TomTom I will receive another product code, she did say that this only applies if you buy direct from tomtom and not if you buy from anyone else i.e other retailers. Can any one confirm this for me as I thought the Product key was made from the device plus software so if you bought a map it would still not work. ?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Product Code is only tied to the map. You can buy it from any serious vendor. The delivery will have to include the map CD and the Product code card (looks like a Credit card, with the code stamped on)

The activation key is then produced from the Product code and Device ID when you first access the newly installed map.

So she's right about the map being sufficient, and probably just trying to scare you into buying directly from TomTom.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can't just use a copied map from somewhere else then??
Like if you had a copy of the maps of France from another TT SD Card??
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

define "use". But basically without valid product key there is no way on the PNDs to use someone else's maps

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you use an original SD card out of someone elses TomTom G, i.e my mate rarely uses his tomtom and has no problem with giving me his SD Card, I heard somewhere that original SD cards do not need activation, using the original maps supplied with the SD Card ? I know a copy of someone elses SD Card will not work without activation, but what about the original. I suppose the only other way is to perswade someone with a map and activation code to let you use it to activate your product however you would need to explain about tomtom only allowing 2 changes in device registration. i.e if he ever wanted to raectivate his origal tomtom he might be not allowed becuase the TomTom activation system will only allow 2 changes. Would this be legal, i.e if he wishes to give me his SD card with activation code i.e I would pay him 1/2 the price of the original map, then I would become the legal owner and I would not be breaking any copywight or other rules would i ?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrianhaslett wrote:
Could you use an original SD card out of someone elses TomTom G, i.e my mate rarely uses his tomtom and has no problem with giving me his SD Card, I heard somewhere that original SD cards do not need activation, using the original maps supplied with the SD Card ?

This is correct, but guess what - you are not supposed to do that :-)
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how this activation lark works.
My dad bought a TT1 a week before I got mine and my card (GB) works in his and his works in mine, both without activation. I thought the idea of activation was to prevent copying maps?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All original TT cards come pre-activated and will work on any TT PND, but a copy of the same card will not.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied across my GB map to a 512SD card for more space for POI cameras etc and this still works on both mine and my dads and it didn't ask for activation. Isnt this considered a 'copy'?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, but you've used the original card on the both units, so the copy will work on them as well
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Remove what I say below if it infringes any rules:

The poster above said 'you used the original card on both devices so the copy will work' The Poster was spot on, for a copy to work you have to had the original card in the device you wanted to copy to before you use the copy. I.E Put original Card in the Device you are going to use the Copy On, and then after that you can copy the data from that card to any other card any use it without activation. Days of searching for an answer and with one comment the light came on in the brain. SomeHow the Devices must know what cards have been used in the Device they will allow copy's of any map's that have alraedy been used in that device on an original tomtom card.

As I say I do not mean to offend or break any rules so if what I say does this please remove this post, and I appoligase in advance.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I hear what your saying, but if you copy the entire contents over, how does the unit distinguish between an original and a copy?
How does the unit know its an original SD card?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it just does, OK? ;-)
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really, no
does that mean that once a SD card has been used in something, even if you then erase everything, it can be recognised?
I think its something else.
ok if you cant tell because of copy protection fair enough, but I'm just curious how it 'knows' one card from another.
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fidling about alot, and all I can say is that if you delete everything on an original sd card and then copy from another sd card onto this one without having put the original SD card that you are copying from into the Device you are going to use it for before copying it will NOT work, that's why if you obtain just a map from sources and you havenot used the original sd card from that map in your device before the map will not work, i.e copying maps from other sources does not work.

Oviously there is something on that SD card that is matching the SD Card to the Map.

It's one of the best copy protections i've seen, I no it does not stop you copying the maps all together, but at least you arn't going to get the product working without having first used the original sd card with that map in your device first, it stopps people file sharing the maps totally. Which ovouisly is where most people are going to get the maps from.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: