Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does Jersey (Channel Islands) have any speed camera sites?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Jersey (Channel Islands) have any speed camera sites?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Does Jersey (Channel Islands) have any speed camera sites? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if there are any speed camera/mobile sites in Jersey (Channel Islands)? If there are, then Bo Peep and I may be able to look out for them and capture the details of as many as we can, when we shortly visit Jersey.

I know that this won’t help users of current Tele Atlas map data (e.g. most TomTom products, Navman, etc) but it will help users of Navteq map data (CoPilot, TomTom Rider, etc). Hopefully Tele Atlas will soon get around to mapping all of the Channel Islands!

If you have recently visited Jersey, or better still if you permanently live in Jersey, could you post the details (location, type of camera/equipment used, speed limit, etc) of known places, so that if we happen to be in the locality, we can capture these cameras?

Can we please number each place sequentially (starting at 1) so that hopefully we won’t get any duplicate places?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently flew over to Jersey for the day and, although I only toured it in a small coach, I don't remember any cameras. The roads are generally very narrow, difficult to pass oncoming traffic for a lot of the roads, and speeds are very low.

I think that each parish has its own independent pseudo-police force that catches speeders by following them in farm landrovers, etc. You haven't seen 'small town' until you've seen Jersey. Smile

Given Jersey's status as a tax-haven and offshore banking centre, you're going to see Ferraris that have never got out of first gear.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Does Jersey (Channel Islands) have any speed camera site Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
If there are, then Bo Peep and I may be able to look out for them and capture the details of as many as we can, when we shortly visit Jersey.

Privateer - Are you and BoPeep 'an item' then?

If her icon is accurate, you're a lucky man
(although if YOURS is, I don't know what she sees in you! Wink)
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Privateer - Are you and BoPeep 'an item' then?

Yes Andy, we are "an item" as you put it, and we have been for some time – even before either of us joined the PocketGPSWorld forum. Smile

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If her icon is accurate, you're a lucky man

Her avatar doesn’t do her justice. In reality she is far more beautiful, gorgeous, sexy and wonderful. Yes I’m a very lucky man as Bo Peep has real brains to complement her beauty plus she’s into GPS and related gadgets as much as I am.

Andy_P2002 wrote:
(although if YOURS is, I don't know what she sees in you! Wink)

Nah, my avatar looks much better than me! ;)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Her avatar doesn’t do her justice.

Suppose you'd have to say that, wouldn't you. These moderators have eyes everywhere, and you'd get more than your posts locked! Wink
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I live in Guernsey and can confirm that Guernsey certainly does not have any fixed speed cameras and to the very best of my knowledge (checked with my Jersey colleagues), neither does Jersey. However hand held speed guns are very much in use in both islands. The spots used vary widely - basically anywhere the local police think it's worth standing for 10 minutes. They also do not advertise their presence and will quite happily hide in a gateway or hedge to try and catch you! Hope you enjoy(ed) your trip.

Regards

Tosty.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tosty,

Tosty wrote:
I live in Guernsey and can confirm that Guernsey certainly does not have any fixed speed cameras and to the very best of my knowledge (checked with my Jersey colleagues), neither does Jersey.

Many thanks for taking the time to check with your Jersey colleagues and also for replying to my post. Do you use SatNav in Guernsey and if you do, which one do you use?

Tosty wrote:
However hand held speed guns are very much in use in both islands. The spots used vary widely - basically anywhere the local police think it's worth standing for 10 minutes. They also do not advertise their presence and will quite happily hide in a gateway or hedge to try and catch you!

Do they repeatedly use the same mobile sites, or do they never use the same site twice? Would your Jersey colleagues be able to advise of any locations that Bo Peep and I could capture so that we can add them to the database?

Are the hand held speed guns laser or radar?

Are laser/radar detectors legal in Jersey and Guernsey?

Tosty wrote:
Hope you enjoy(ed) your trip.

Thanks, we haven’t been yet, although we will soon be leaving.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went round Jersey last week (as a passenger) and used CoPilot 6 to follow my path. Definitely no cameras in the database, and no cameras that I spotted.

My impression is that in 11 of the 12 parishes, you're more likely to be caught by the local farmer on his tractor, who is also the elected parish constable. Only the parish of St Helier has a formal police force.

It so small, and the roads are so narrow, you really wouldn't want to speed anywhere. You'd miss the scenery, and soon run out of anywhere to go.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

We’ve been to Jersey (and Guernsey) a number of times in the past. Last time we were in Jersey, we used CoPilot 5, in fact we even wrote a review that can be seen here. The major problems that we had with CoPilot 5 was that:

1. If you took the wrong turn it would direct you back to the point where you deviated from its route, as opposed to the way that TomTom recalculates a new route from your current position.

2. CoPilot would often freeze and need a soft reset of the PocketPC.

3. CoPilot has a nasty habit of loosing favourites you have recorded and as no custom POIs could be saved to the storage card this is very frustrating.

I haven’t got CoPilot 6 so don’t know whether it is an improvement over version 5. How did you find CoPilot 6 in Jersey, was it reliable?

The general consensus is that there are no fixed cameras (i.e. Gatso, Truvelo, SPECS, Red Light) but a number of places where mobile speed checks are done. If we see any mobiles then we will record them to be added to the database.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't using CoPilot for guidance, just for tracking. I've never had any problems with CoPilot 6 picking up and continuing my new route, and very quickly at that. But then I never had any problems of that type in CoPilot 5 either. My car has very rigid suspension, and so for the sake of my back, I have to avoid any road with speed bumps. As I understand it, TomTom is very slow at calculating new routes.

Some navigation packages seem to have trouble finding routes using country roads. I've just tried a few routes in the desktop program, and they seem fairly logical, although I would probably choose most routes based upon the scenery. Might be interesting to try the routing for RV's. Smile

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Privateer,

Popped round to my local (only!) police station but they wouldn't advise what type of speed guns they use. Regarding detectors they claimed they would take an extremely dim view of them, but didn't say they were actually illegal. I would suspect we would have local legislation in line with the UK, whatever that might be these days.

Speaking with my colleagues, they advise that the Esplanade road - dual carriageway going west along the sea front from St Helier - is heavily targetted, as is the so called 5 mile road - the large curved road on the western beach.

Currently I use a Garmin nuvi although don't have to use it in anger in Guernsey. Works really well and recalculates within 10 seconds after leaving the route. The text-to-speech can be interesting with the local road names!

Try looking at JerseyInsight.com for live webcams. Feel free to PM me if you would like any local info for you trip.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: