Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 Displaying POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 Displaying POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellafella
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: i3 Displaying POIs Reply with quote

Quick question here, can this be done yet? Rolling Eyes
It's got to be the most annoying thing about this otherwise top value unit.
I just want to be able to see petrol stations on the map, or other POI's, without having to set up a route.

Thanks
Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say No. But I'm sure that using the technique a couple of people here have used to make the Speed Camera database more flexible it is possible.

The file has to be converted to GPX format and then every time a POI comes into range it'll bong and display the icon whilst you are moving. However the only applications available to make the icons appear like this only work with the speed camera databases.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By searching for a POI and then selecting view map when you zoom in you can see all POI icons surrounding the selected POI. These can then be selected/browsed by 'finding nearest' That's the only way I've found to do it.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can't use my method effectively whilst on the move but if you're planning a trip you can find POIs close to where you'll be.
ashie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpkin wrote:
By searching for a POI and then selecting view map when you zoom in you can see all POI icons surrounding the selected POI. These can then be selected/browsed by 'finding nearest' That's the only way I've found to do it.

My I3 doesnt show any other POI icons when I click show map apart from the point of interest I select, eg I select a local Fuel station then click show map and it only shows me the POI icon for the fuel station and not nearby POI, but my friends I3 does exactly what bumpkin says and shows all nearby POI icons/railway station icons etc , is this normal that mine does not show them, I am running version 8, I think my friend has an older map could this be the reason? or is my map faulty? we both have the same POI files on our units.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I was going to say No. But I'm sure that using the technique a couple of people here have used to make the Speed Camera database more flexible it is possible.

The file has to be converted to GPX format and then every time a POI comes into range it'll bong and display the icon whilst you are moving. However the only applications available to make the icons appear like this only work with the speed camera databases.

Pedantically, to display stuff, the CSV files don't need to be converted to GPX for display (per se) the reasoning behind using GPX, being that the customisable alert distances work properly using GPX files.

The way of getting them always displayed, is doubling up on the camera POIs, and having one set that have an alert speed of 0, so they always show - don't know how they get around that always bonging, though - unless something funky is done with either the naming of the POI or the alert distances for that set particularly.

Then there's the second set of camera POIs that have alert distances set using the GPX method, that are the ones the give the proximity warnings.

From what I remember, the alert tones are mainly distinguished by key words in the name of the POI.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The way of getting them always displayed, is doubling up on the camera POIs, and having one set that have an alert speed of 0, so they always show - don't know how they get around that always bonging, though - unless something funky is done with either the naming of the POI or the alert distances for that set particularly.

I mentioned the GPX files because the camera renamer that's been made turns the PocketGPS database into GPX files which do indeed double up the data. One entry for the "overspeed" warning and one for proximity. The POI for the camera appears on the screen when you are under the limit with just a single Bong. It then only continues to Bong if you go over the Speed Limit. I don't know how it's done becuase i don't know enough about the GPX file format but i did ask the author of the software if he'd make another version of POI files that are not Speed Cameras so we can have not Speed Camera POIs appear when we want without being bonged to death.

I didn't get an answer so i guess it's no.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

I mentioned the GPX files because the camera renamer that's been made turns the PocketGPS database into GPX files which do indeed double up the data. One entry for the "overspeed" warning and one for proximity.

Again I'm being pedantic, but it often pays to stress the accuracy...

Converting the CSV files to GPX doesn't double up POI, necessarily - because the earlier versions, and when you don't select 'always shown' (or however the functionality is named), you don't then double up on the POIs. Note: there's a marked difference in the filesize - roughly double, when you choose the 'always shown' feature.

Sure, the GPX files are considerably bigger than the CSV files, but the POIs are only doubled up, when you decide to always have them shown - not merely by merit of them being converted to GPX files.

A subtle distinction, but you get my point, I'm sure.

PaulB2005 wrote:
The POI for the camera appears on the screen when you are under the limit with just a single Bong. It then only continues to Bong if you go over the Speed Limit. I don't know how it's done becuase i don't know enough about the GPX file format but i did ask the author of the software if he'd make another version of POI files that are not Speed Cameras so we can have not Speed Camera POIs appear when we want without being bonged to death.

I didn't get an answer so i guess it's no.

By that do you mean have normal POIs always show up on the map?

Personally, I think that should be something lobbeyed of Garmin for a firmware update, so that the user can make a choice of whether POIs show up, or not - or at least some aspect exploited so that POIs can be optionally displayed, depending on either how they are defined, or options when loaded using POI_loader.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Converting the CSV files to GPX doesn't double up POI, necessarily

Yes sorry should have DOES indeed double up the data (as in the software doubles the data and not the conversion from CSV to GPX.

Quote:
By that do you mean have normal POIs always show up on the map?

Yes. But without BONG, BONG, BONG, BONG, BONG, BONG, BONG, BONG, all the time. In the same way the Speed Cameras now bong once if i am under the limit. Obviously i don't need the "overspeed" counterpart entry for Petrol Stations etc but a single BONG and a persistent icon would be nice.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can open the GPX files in easygps, so you can see what the utilities do to the files (assuming that easygps shows all the fields...).

You get the camera identity with the @speed, and a duplicate with -speed (the latter ignored for speed based alerts).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for normal poi files (i.e. not speed associated ones) eg petrol station poi file simply upload to the i3 in manual mode and set a proximity alert when you get to that file.

dead easy. just means it'll beep constantly when you're xxx feet away!

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
for normal poi files (i.e. not speed associated ones) eg petrol station poi file simply upload to the i3 in manual mode and set a proximity alert when you get to that file.

dead easy. just means it'll beep constantly when you're xxx feet away!

Yes exactly what i DON'T want.

I'll look at the GPX files later and see if i can fathom it out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: