Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new safety camera warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new safety camera warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: new safety camera warning Reply with quote

have posted this seperate for attention reasons.

now that the camera loader has evolved and its modification is in full swing, don't stop lets go a step further.

many peaople have a moan at the bings and bongs of the proximity alerts some even resort to turning them off. great here is the deal:

we all have our i3 etc placed somewhere in our field of view so is it possible then for the screen to flash either a different colour, instead of just the banner at the top, or best of all a screen sized icon of the camera you are approaching. number of flashes etc to be determined.

there will also be people out there who are either deaf or very hard of hearing using these systems. sounding proximty alerts wont make a difference to them and the banner is not, in my opinion large enough to really catch your attention. this visual warning would be perfect.

come on the genius amongst you, make us proad again. its over to you.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: new safety camera warning Reply with quote

matb wrote:
have posted this seperate for attention reasons.
Seems to have worked! :D

Quote:
many peaople have a moan at the bings and bongs of the proximity alerts some even resort to turning them off. great here is the deal:
But why? With a careful setup, it's possible to have to i3:

i) always bong once as you approach a camera location regardless of speed, or:
ii) bong once on approach and then repeatedly ping if you're speeding, or:
iii) both together.

What extra functionality would you like to see?

Quote:
we all have our i3 etc placed somewhere in our field of view so is it possible then for the screen to flash either a different colour, instead of just the banner at the top, or best of all a screen sized icon of the camera you are approaching. number of flashes etc to be determined.
This just isn't practical - sorry. I've done a bit of firmware hacking on the i3, but so far haven't come up with much that is particularly useful (or even that stable Embarassed ).

Quote:
there will also be people out there who are either deaf or very hard of hearing using these systems. sounding proximty alerts wont make a difference to them and the banner is not, in my opinion large enough to really catch your attention. this visual warning would be perfect.
I agree that the icon is a bit small (IIRC it's clipped to 24x24 pixels) and that the banner could be a little bigger - but the sound does go very loud indeed.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply.

the sound isn't the issue here i dont think, more the visuals for those who would rather not have the audible alerts or for the deaf/ hard of hearing.

what i did notice yesterday was that without selecting anything from the (where to? show map settings) page on my i3, when i approached a camera area a large box approx two thirds screen size appeared giving the warning. i guess this was possible because there wasn't the extra issue of maps etc being shown.

if you have already tried then i guess we have been beaten from perfection this time. a shame because everything else that has been modified is quite frankly brilliant. Not Worthy
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would like to have a bong once as I approach a camera, but not bong continually as I go through if I am above the speed limit. I am fed up with continual bonging noise when I am on motorways for mobile cameras when I know nothing is around and I want to proceed at a safe 75mph.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try and find the link to answer your question as it has been raised in the past.

if i remember rightly you have to go into the excel spreadsheet for the cameras, locate the speed ie @30 and delete the @30, @40, @50 etc.

the system will them only recognise the camera location and not the speed setting.

this will give you the initial bong with the red banner giving the warning but with the camera id no, instead of the speed. the overspeed bongs will no longer be there as the system does not know what the speed setting is for the camera.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this instead

open camera databases in excel find and replace all speeds, @20, @30, @40 etc with a double space and then the speed itself

ie

replce @30 with 30

this will then give the intial warning with the camera type, id number and the speed, without the overspeed bong.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention you will also have the icon showing on the map until you pass the location.

this works nicely for me Laughing

try it Exclamation
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, if I had been a little more alert I would have figured that out for myself. I used to ammend the @70's to @78's so that it will only warn me when I am 'really' speeding.
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milkfloat wrote:
when I am 'really' speeding.

Laughing Laughing
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well spotted. Clap

milkfloat? obviously "ernie" the fastest milk cart in the west. Wink
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously what I meant was following the flow of traffic on a private track in good weather conditions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: