Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera database size (space required on SD card)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera database size (space required on SD card)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarySc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Camera database size (space required on SD card) Reply with quote

Apologies if this subject has been discussed elsewhere, but I'm looking to buy a Tomtom GO 300 Satnav device and once I've done so, to subscribe to the speed camera database download service. What I'm trying to ascertain is how much space to allow for the inclusion of the database on the SD memory card. I currently only drive in the UK and from what I can see in various articles and posts, the UK maps take up around 100mb. Given that Tomtom probably supply the smallest memory cards they can get away with (capacity not stated anywhere on the Tomtom site, but I'd guess at 128mb), would this be sufficient? If not, what's the best capacity to go for, allowing some scope for personal POI's as well? I'm not being miserly, but since I’m already spending in the region of £300, but I'd rather not waste money on a high capacity card if it's not required.

Would the answer be the same for both the categorised and "single file" POI installation?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GarySc,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

You'll need about 510kb for the current PocketGPSWorld camera database and Bitmap files.

The SD card that you get with a new TT GO 300 is only 128Mb. It is advisable to get a larger one as the original is pretty much fully utilised. In fact I think that you need some spare capacity to use the GO and that people have had to delete unwanted foreign vices from their GOs in order to get some POIs to run.

If you only want to load POIs and the POI Capture utility then a 256Mb SD would probably do you, although the price difference between a 256Mb and a 512Mb card is likely to be minimal nowadays.

If you want to load extra maps then go for at least a 1GB SD.

Another reason for getting another SD card is that you can copy the original and keep it in a very safe place in case the other SD card becomes corrupt. You don't get a copy of the maps on the CD so it is vitally important that you have a viable backup.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
GarySc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert

Thanks for your prompt response. Your comments regarding the neglible price difference between 256mb and 512mb cards make a lot of sense, although a 1Gb card is only a fiver more, so I'll probably go for that anyway.

I think I'll take your advcice to back up the original card to my laptop, copy everything to the new card, and then put the original in a safe place in case I need it again. No harm in being prudent.

Cheers for now
Gary
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
people have had to delete unwanted foreign vices

Don't delete them....send them to me. I'm starting a collection of foreign vices. Anyone got a spare French mistress?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrocompass wrote:
Quote:
people have had to delete unwanted foreign vices

Don't delete them....send them to me. I'm starting a collection of foreign vices. Anyone got a spare French mistress?

Hilarious!

You just can't beat the good old Freudian slip eh? When you say one thing, but mean your mother Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
By the way, your slip is showing Wink
GarySc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this thread is going a little off track Rolling Eyes Thanks goodness for Satnav!!!!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm... you can (just) fit the camera database and a couple more POI files onto the standard 128M card that comes with the Go300 so long as you delete all the foreign voices.
GarySc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I suspect that since I'll be getting a backup card anyway, I'd go for a size upgrade to allow for some expansion, as well as be able to change to French/Spanish/Italian/German when I finally get around to my teach-yourself language CD-ROM's

Cheers
Gary
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eating my words now...
Just tried to update to v5.440 and I think I've just hit the limit of the card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: