Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bad routing proposition on Quest 2 (as well as MapSource).
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad routing proposition on Quest 2 (as well as MapSource).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Bad routing proposition on Quest 2 (as well as MapSource). Reply with quote

Hello M8s.

Just returned from a marvelous 12day vacation in Cornwall, equiped with my new Quest 2 (that time with 2.50 as FW on it). We got there by plane to Bristol Int'l Airport. We had no problems finding our destination (a farm B&B, for which I created a POI at home).

As you might expect, we did a lot of local driving and there I'd had a bit of a disappointing routing. The settings used are for Car, Best Route and Shortest Time to destination.

To me it looks like Quest 2 routing algo (as well as MapSource 6.10.2 which I tried after returning home) are not very elaborate OR the mapping data for that region in Cornwall is inaccurate.

I'll give you an example:
Waypoint 1: Bude = N50.82838 W4.54448
Waypoint 2: Lower Tresmorn = N50.74945 W4.60995

Create a route with the above points. This takes you down the costal road. On a OS papermap (1:250'000, Road 7, SW-England) the first section is marked as a yellow one (road generally more than 4m wide) and the second part as a white one (road generally less than 4m wide), both of them have not even a Bxxxx-Number. You can imagine, that esp. the second part basically is a single-track road with a lot of bends and sometimes quite steep. If you can drive with an average of 30mph on that one you are already very fast compared to the conditions.

As an alternate way you can drive up to the A39, which is a "green" ( on an OS map) primary route where you drive with 60mph without problems.

The calculation are as follow: The first costal route is 7.9m (12min 11sec), the A39 one is 11.1mi (15min 15sec).

The time calculated for the second option (for which I had to block the costal route) is somewhere near reasonable. But the 12 minutes calculated for the first route are a direct trip to hell. I've driven that one as well and it took me close to 30 minutes.

For me this looks like Quest/Mapsource (or Garmin) don't take the road type into account at all, making small single-lane tracks equal to primary roads. Can that be fixed/adjusted somehow? I've played with my Quest 2 and Mapsource more than an hour but could not get to any result that makes sense.

BTW: Just as an example, even the free service at Map24 gives a much more reasonable result. Enter Bude as starting point and EX23 0NU as destination.

Any Hints? Does Garmin have to make improvements to the software or is the Navtec-Data in CN8 not accurate?

BeatO
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - sorry to hear of your "problem". May I suggest you post again in the GPS Info section of the UKGSer forum http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Although it is primarily a motorcycle forum there is considerable and willing expertise in exactly this sort of area. One of the contributors uses the name Pan European, does software/hardware testing for Garmin and is an extremely lucid writer
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kritou

Just posted there, wait and see.... Thanks!

BeatO
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeatO - Michael has responded
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kritou

Thanks, I've already read his post. About what I thought it was. I'll try to get in touch with him. I'll keep you posted and write up a summary of our findings.

BeatO

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: