Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloading the database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading the database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VickyH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Downloading the database Reply with quote

I'm curretnly trying to download the speed camera database to my PC to enable me to use POI loader and the relevant CSV file for a Garmin i3. I'm struggling downloading the file onto my PC as a zip file. The PC is requesting me to select an application. The user guide only refers to a ZIP file and a folder called "Garmin". How do I get to this file?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VickyH

If you Select Garmin and Click Continue you are then presented with the Option to Download either UK-POILoader or UK-Speed Zoned Complete (23 Files).

The POILoader Option will download 5 csv and 5 bmp Files, which are the cameras divided into the 5 different types.

The Speed Zoned Complete Option will download 23 csv and 23 bmp Files and will have the same cameras but divided into groups that show the differing Speeds of the Cameras.

When you have made your choice Click Download Database.

The might be 1 or 2 boxes appear, with something like 'do you want to save to disk', 'where do you want to save this file''. It varies according to your Computer.

Save it to somewhere that you can remember and it will save a Zip File, ready for you to Unzip.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
VickyH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard
I still appear to be struggling. I'm selecting "save as" to my PC but it is not saving it as a ZIP file! Therefore, I am not able to access the CSV files. Any other clues?
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VickyH, I think your problem is you don't have winzip on your computer, thats why you can't save the zip file as a zip file, your computer can't recognise it. You also say your computer is asking you to
"select an application", it doesn't recognise, or know what to do with the zip file. So you need to go to http://winzip.com/ and download winzip, personally I have winzip 8.0, on the website they are upto winzip 10 now, and I have the "try it" version, I don't pay for anything unless I have to,Laughing Out Loud. I don't know what the full version is like compaired to the evaluation version, and I don't seem to have any trial period, but it zips/unzips ok, so why buy the full version.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
I think your problem is you don't have winzip on your computer, thats why you can't save the zip file as a zip file, your computer can't recognise it.

Even if you don't have Winzip on your PC, it will see the extension and report it as a 'zip File', it just won't know what to do with it.

Vicky - What extension does the File have? That might explain where you are having the problem. In the download, or on the PC.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
VickyH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be sure I have installed version 10 of winzip (try it version) and this makes no difference.

The file is being saved as a "file" with no DOS extension. The only options on the save command are "file" and "all files". Selecting "all files" makes no difference.

I have SORTED IT. I have renamed the file in explorer with a ZIP file extension and this then allows me to view the files.
Thanks for your assistance. Fingers crossed from here. :o
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW and just to help the developers not go mad :D

I just downloaded the 23 zoned files option and got one file called

Garmin_UK_-_Speed_Zoned_Complete_(23_files).zip

So the system works
gatso_god
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Vicki, the files come down without an extension and my system doesn't see them as zip files despite having WINZIP installed. However, if I add the .ZIP extension then what do you know, the files can be accessed and their contents extracted !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: