Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't Unlock Maps (Quest)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't Unlock Maps (Quest)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Can't Unlock Maps (Quest) Reply with quote

My CNv8 update DVD has arrived and the installation went fine. Created some routes for a forthcoming (weather permitting) WW1 battlefield tour and sent them with the required maps and waypoints to the Quest but the GPSR just says "Can't Unlock Maps" with an "OK" selector displayed

What am I doing wrong?
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you put the code in (as displayed on the back of the CD case) and the set-up routine contacted Garmin and confirmed that all was well?

Did you have to pay the upgrade fee or was it free?
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berisford wrote:
I assume you put the code in (as displayed on the back of the CD case) and the set-up routine contacted Garmin and confirmed that all was well?

Did you have to pay the upgrade fee or was it free?

The upgrade was free - thank heavens!

I had already been given an unlock code and have not been aware of any requirement to apply the s/n on the back of the DVD case. The product appears to unlock and download any selected maps to the Quest but then the message "Can't Unlock Maps"comes up on the Quest screen

If I re-start the Unlock Wizard and look at the Unlock Region Properties the unlock code is correctly displayed

I'm wondering just why the DVD case does have a unique serial number
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know then.

The DVD is for the Quest, not a Streetpilot or a 'NT' software product?

I've never seen the 'can't unlock maps' on the Quest screen.

If the maps are not open/unlocked for the Quest the Mapsource program on the computer normally picks up the problem.

Looks like a query for Garmin, might take a week or so for them to answer though.
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
....The DVD is for the Quest, not a Streetpilot or a 'NT' software product?

Is there a difference? There is no indication on the case or when running the update that there may be

Thanks for the input though
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a new unlock code with CNv8? If not, then you have to contact Garmin and get one.
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Did you get a new unlock code with CNv8? If not, then you have to contact Garmin and get one.

Yes I did. Just to check I have had a look, using my customer code, on the Garmin website and the Unlock Code, machine s/n and Unit ID are all there for CNv8
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kritou wrote:
Quote:
....The DVD is for the Quest, not a Streetpilot or a 'NT' software product?

Is there a difference? There is no indication on the case or when running the update that there may be

Thanks for the input though

I've got the US select V7 software installed on my computer and it's all registered OK with Garmin, shows up on my garmin customer page as unlocked and paired up with my Quest serial number. However, when I try to load to the Quest it shows a 'not compatable' warning despite, as I said, being unlocked for my Quest! Sad

Trouble is caused by the 'NT' bit.
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
......Trouble is caused by the 'NT' bit.

Yes, that could be a problem. The envelope your upgrade disc comes in has a small white sticker on the reverse. If there is no mention of NT on it then you should have the correct version for your Quest

The ever helpful Mike down at Garmin in Romsey talked me through my problem and it transpired that:-

After running the upgrade and before transferring maps to the Quest I had initially failed to select the correct Mapsource product from the drop down menu at the top left of the screen. As the maps are decrypted when they are selected into the map pane (and not when they are transferred to or arrive at the Quest) merely changing the product from CSv6/7 to CNv8, as I did, meant an incompatibility between my original, and now unencrypted CSv6/7 maps, and the new "software" with a new unlock code I now wanted to use in the transfer - so the Quest sensed this and threw up it's hands!

The solution was to select v8 from the drop down menu, delete all maps from the map pane on the left of the screen and then use the map tool to reselect the the required maps - at which stage the map files are decrypted and are ready to be transferred to one happy little Quest!

Hope that makes sense

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: