Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Address Book
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Address Book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmcconachie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Address Book Reply with quote

I understood, for some reason, that TT5 could locate addresses from the address book on a palm T3. Is this wrong??
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have the Great_Britain.Postal file in a folder named zip at the root of your SD card it should work.

You need to use a program on your SD card named "Contacts Navigator" rather than the usual "Contacts" this will read your contacts database and allow you to navigate to a contact or show it on the TomTom map. Do this by selecting the contact you want, going to the menu and selecting "Navigate to..." or "Show in map...".

Andy Thumbs Up
dmcconachie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Great_Britain.Postal file " ?

How do I know if I have this? In fact how do I view the contents of the SD card? I do not have a card reader.

On a related note, is it possible to transfer the contents to another SD card? I have a 512M card which is empty that I'd prefer to use rather than the 128M card that came with it.

I found the Contacts Navigator program this morning, however every time I try to use it it crashes my T3. Is this a known issue or just for me?

Sorry for the multiple questions!!
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can navigate using the full 7 character postcode option then the Great_Britain.Postal file is installed and in the correct place on your SD card.

To view the contents of the card you will need to install a third party file manager program. I use Mega Launcher http://www.megasoft2000.com/product.php?division=palm&product=MegaLauncher though other utilities are availlable and possibly free.

Unfortunately you are unable to copy the contents of your SD to a second SD without a card reader for your PC, your T3 will not accept non palm database files which effectively blocks transfer in to your palm and then out to SD.

Card readers are cheap to buy now and useful devices a quick look on http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=5&type=5060&man=0&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp= shows them ranging from £4.49 - £14.99 dependant upon your requirements. I haven't used this company myself (yet) but other forum members have with no complaints I'm aware of.

I've had a play with my T3 and so far have been unable to replicate the contacts navigator crash. Are you up to date with any palm patches or latest Navigator release?
dmcconachie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try Megalauncher this weekend. And a card reader definitely seems a sensible option! So with that I should be abe to transfer everything to the bigger card?

TT version is 5.201 (5344)

Any idea how to quickly check if I have the latest palm patches, i'm pretty sure I do...
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only need to see the files on your SD when you are at home, then you only need the card reader. however if you want to see the files when the SD is in your T3 and/or manipulate them without the pc then something like Megalauncher is useful.

Yes, if you have a card reader you can make the transfer to a bigger card by copying everything from one SD to a temporary folder on your PC and then back off on to the new card. Of course, you also have the bonus of a backup of your SD should anything become corrupted.

There's no quick way of checking I'm aware of, the nearest I can suggest is to select "Info..." from the "App" menu and then select "Version" from the options at the bottom of the screen you can then use this to cross reference with any specific updates you are applying. Unfortunately this doesn't work accross the board as not all downloads show their version numbers Rolling Eyes.

The patch I had in mind is the "Palm Tungsten T3 Update" available here or here though you may not need it (as far as I can remember my T3 reported that it didn't need this update when I tried to apply it).

Finally if you use the Universal Wireless Keyboard, then don't use the "Phone Link Update" as there is a known fault which will cause your keyboard driver to crash.

N.B My Contacts Navigator reports v. 1.0.4

All the best Smile
dmcconachie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got MegaLauncher up and running and the postal file appears to be in the right place. Same Contacts Navigator version and Palm version is 5.2.1 (I think that's the latest)

No idea why the contacts program is crashing - think maybe I'll ask a specific question in the forum...
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, showing same Palm OS version.

The only other suggestion I have is to copy the Contacts Navigator prog from the card to the palm and to try running it from there. The file is located at /PALM/Launcher/cn.prc
dmcconachie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem to like that any better! Think I may have to contact TomTom/Palm about this one. Never had any lucj contacting Palm about technical issues before! Sad
dmcconachie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after some fiddling about, it would appear that it does work. It falls over if the address requested "does not exist". Couldn't find an old house of mine but successfully found a house on the same street! Surely it shouldn't be this fallable though!?

Oh well, at least it's a workaround!
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, I just tried a few fictional addresses and was given the nearest fix that Navigator could find. However, where I have put more than 1 line of data in a field (eg number, road and village on the first line of the address with a new line between the road and village), I have noticed that Navigator can become confused. Although this does seem to be intermittant.

Andy
dmcconachie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I wonder where the conflict is. Just checked and the address I tested only had one thing in each line yet crashed the T3, have to say the street numbers do not seem very accurate across the board!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: