Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why Ft and not Yards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Ft and not Yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Why Ft and not Yards Reply with quote

Bought the 520 at the weekend and overall i am very impressed with this. I had been using Via Michelin on a PDA before some kind little soul removed it from my car.

I have be use to instructions giving the distance in yards and not feet. The Navman gives me distances under 0.25 miles as feet. I have never in my life considered distances in feet. I always think of them in yards, miles.

Is there a settign i can change or is it something i have to live with.

Confused
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something you'll have to live with unless you're prepared to go metric and use metres (for everything). heard it was the 'American way' as the excuse for using feet over yards but I can't remember a single instance of them having a 300' dash/sprint, etc..

I've lobbied Navman time and time again to get yards. They could even use the same markers as they do for metres; we'd never know....
Southy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Lets hope they change it eventally.
icarus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Why feet not yards? Reply with quote

I could not agree more.
By the time the voice has chuntered through "In thirteen hundred and fifty feet - turn left" it is already down to 1000 ft and by the time I have converted that to just over 300 yards and that, in turn to 3 football pitches - I have gone past the b***dy turning.

I had always assumed that Navman being a NZ company and therefore metric they really didn't understand imperial measures.

ATB
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Why feet not yards? Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
I could not agree more.
By the time the voice has chuntered through "In thirteen hundred and fifty feet - turn left" it is already down to 1000 ft and by the time I have converted that to just over 300 yards and that, in turn to 3 football pitches - I have gone past the b***dy turning.

I had always assumed that Navman being a NZ company and therefore metric they really didn't understand imperial measures.
ATB

Except when it comes to jumping off bridges etc with a bit string tied to your feet Confused which they measure in feet - makes it sound higher!!! They are about as mixed up as this country when it comes to measurements. How many bananas to the pound or is it a kilo Rolling Eyes
They officially went over to metric in 1976 - long enough to have forgotten what a yard is.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: