Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom one POI and speed camera files - please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom one POI and speed camera files - please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FOUNDIT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: tom tom one POI and speed camera files - please help Reply with quote

Hi, i am brand new to this so hopefully get this right, i am looking for POI files for my tom tom one and have seen many discs for sale on ebay claiming to have all of them on, but are they potentially damaging to my new toy, and also they state they have speed camera locations.

Is there a better way of getting the POI's and camera locations without handing over loads of cash to tomtom as i cant see links on this site for the ONE.

many thanks

Andy

Confused
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi foundit and welcome on board.

I moved your Post to this Forum as it was a TT1.

The link for the Speed Cameras is on the left of the page, 'UK Safety Cameras'.

For instructions you follow all the instructions for the TT GO.

Before you do anything else, make a Full Backup of the SD Card. It is most important. Your only copy of the Map is on the SD Card.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most TomTom stuff on ebay needs to be considered carefully. A lot of it is available for free elsewhere.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
FOUNDIT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, many thanks for that, i will have a go and see how i get on, and will be back i am sure.

regards

Andy
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FOUNDIT,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

If you're interested in the camera database then there are some guides that should be read (in the following order):

Arrow The beginner’s guide to the PocketGPSWorld camera database.
This explains about the different camera types and about categories and subcategories, so that you can decide how you want the database on your unit.

Depending on whether you have TomTom Navigator on a Pocket PC or TomTom GO, please read either:

Arrow How to install (camera database) POIs to TomTom Navigator 5.
This guide explains how to load the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto a Pocket PC running TomTom Navigator 5.

Arrow How to install (camera database) POIs onto a TomTom GO, Rider, or One.
This guide explains how to load the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto your TomTom GO, Rider, or One.

Once you have installed, set up, and used the PocketGPSWorld camera database for a while on your TomTom SatNav system. You may want to share and send in details of cameras yourself. You can do this by using the PocketGPSWorld POI Capture utility:

Arrow The PocketGPSWorld POI Capture utility.
You do not need the PocketGPSWorld POI Capture utility on your TomTom SatNav system in order to use the PocketGPSWorld camera database. However if you want to send in camera details then POI Capture makes the process of recording cameras much easier on TomTom Navigator and GO (original, 300, 500, and 700). At the moment POI Capture will not work with TomTom Rider, One, and mobile. This is for a technical reason, which we hope, will soon be rectified by TomTom.

The above guides may look lengthy and complicated when first seen. However if you grab a cup of coffee and read each one thoroughly then they should make sense as they have been written in a step-by-step way, for ease of reading.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You standing in for Privateer, Bo Peep? Wink
FOUNDIT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, i am a bit lost again, i have copied about 28 files to my uk map folder and enabled all of them, which appears to be working as they are showing on the map when i browse it, i have downloaded poiedit ok but it wont update as it says it cant detect proxy settings, i have tried clicking dont use proxy and use interent explorer settings but to no avail, can anyone help with where to find the settings to use.

hope you can help

many thanks

Andy

All the gear, no idea!!
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need PoI Edit to install cameras......

If you can see them...

On the GO/ONE
Change Prefs/Manage PoI/Warn when near PoI
Set up each category in turn.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
FOUNDIT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for that, i was trying to set up so i can update them easily in the future, is that a good thing to do or is there an easier way for the TT1, do apologise i am a bit new to this.

cheers

Andy

Confused

All the gear, no idea!!
Clingfilm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: POI's for TomTom ONE offerd on Ebay. Reply with quote

Hi there,

Like others, I am a total beginner at all this SatNav business. I have just purchased a TomTom ONE and I must say my first impression is that it's a great little device!

I noticed that user FOUNDIT asked about POI discs being sold on Ebay and whether they can do damage to the TomTom. I can't see a response that specifically answers the point about damaging the unit.

Can someone advise before I potentially make a grave mistake and trash my new TomTom!!

Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: POI's for TomTom ONE offerd on Ebay. Reply with quote

Clingfilm wrote:
I noticed that user FOUNDIT asked about POI discs being sold on Ebay and whether they can do damage to the TomTom. I can't see a response that specifically answers the point about damaging the unit.

Can someone advise before I potentially make a grave mistake and trash my new TomTom!!

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

If they are purely Data Files/Icon Files they won't be a problem for the TT. It will just use those it knows about and ignore those it doesn't.

Those it understands are .OV2 and .BMP Files. These are used for POI's only. If a .OV2 File is corrupt it could cause a problem.

The lesson here is to do a complete Backup of the SD Card before you do anything else. The only copy of the Map is on your SD Card.

That way you will be able to recover your data if you should have a problem.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Clingfilm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since posting my question about POIs' on Ebay, I have now had a chance to read the PocketGPSWorld web site more thoroughly. Being new to all this, I didn't even realise this data was being stolen from PGPSW! Now I am a little wiser and have taken the following actions:

1. Subscribed to PGPSW
2. Downloaded the Camera database for my TomTom
3. Thrown the CD from Ebay in the bin

Ok, this cost me £4.99, but I only want to use trusted and legitimate data....you live and learn!!
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha! You were referring specifically to the speed camera POIs. Many thanks for your course of action. Clap

Yes, EBay sellers of our database are a perennial problem - with our help, EBay are removing dozens of illegal auctions a week for us. We are now considering our next step with persistent offenders.

Can I take this opportunity to thank all those who have let us know about such auctions. Smile

... and many thanks for your faith in our database Clingfilm. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

We are striving to improve the database all the time. If you come across any cameras that aren't in the database, please let us know by going to this page http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras where you can submit them straight into the database.

Don't get too distracted playing with the Google map though Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: