Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Chosing between Nuvi 300 and TT ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Chosing between Nuvi 300 and TT ONE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigmikeymike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Chosing between Nuvi 300 and TT ONE Reply with quote

I am sure that the experts amongst you are bored with questions like this.

I have gone blind reading specs on the plethora of stand-alone sat nav units. I currently have integrated sat-nav in my car and a separate road-angel to warn of speed cameras.

I am getting another car which I will be using daily and am looking for both navigation and speed camera warning.

Based on what I have read, I have narrowed down my choices to TT ONE or NUVI 300. I rejected my other option RA Navigator based on what I read in these forums; have to say RA camera detection would be nice.

I really need decent camera detection as I cannot afford points on my license. I am a little sceptical as to how effective POI's are in this respect - any views would be very welcome.

I read that NUVI allows speed "limits" to be set around POI's so can actually be configured to warn only if exceding limit - does anyone have experience of this facility and its effectiveness.

Does the GPSW speed camera POI data have diffecernt icons indicating speed limits at different locations? Does this apply to both ONE and NUVI?

How accurate and up to date is GPSW camera data - Perhaps an unfair question? I note that TT have a camera subscription service; might this have any benefit over GPSW?

TT has facility to download traffic info (based on subscription) via mobile; anyone have this and any views on quality/usefulness?

NUVI can be plugged ito a traffic module (TMC, e.g. GTM 11) but what I have read in these forums puts me off that a bit. Anyone got recent experiences and any views on whether traffic is worthwhile?

Lots of questions I know but I am struggling here!

Mike
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Choice Reply with quote

The accuracy of the Cameras (if using the same database, say the PocketGPS one) would be the same whichever system you choose, and none are fool-proof

However the Nuvi has two advantages over the TomTom which are NavTeq mapping which is without doubt a better, more up to date map

Secondly the Nuvi will only flash and beep one if you enter a camera zone under the speed trap level, and will constantly beep at you in these areas should you ever go over this - which is a nice touch which gives you constant reminders when you need it, no annoyance when you don't

I would say (but haven't use the Garmin, but see others) the Garmin Traffic Module would be be better than the TomTom as it doesn't rely on mobile phone coverage. However, it does mean extra mudly (leads) on your dash... either way only an essential if you regularly go into heavily conjested areas (I just manually divert, and let my Nuvi take control from there...)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: