Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding Speed camera POI on Palm T3??????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding Speed camera POI on Palm T3??????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobWalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Adding Speed camera POI on Palm T3?????? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently bought Tom Tom Navigator 5 bluetooth for my Palm Tungsten 3 PDA. One of the things that attracted me to it was the fact that it came with a lifetime subscription to a speed camera database.

What I didn't know is that you have to load the speed camera dbase on to the SD card seperately. Not that this should be an issue and I went ahead and used the install tool with the Palm desktop software - but no joy. Can't seem to get the .ov2 file on the SD card.

During my time of frustration :x it has become apparent that the support people at www.pdamods.com don't know how to do it either. Stupid

The main problem seems to be......I can't install the .ov2 database file to the required specific directory on the SD card.

How do you do this with Palm Destop s/w or windows exploer?

I don't have a card reader either - but that is not listed as a pre req for this product.

Any help - greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks !!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RobWalker,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

OK, I don’t have a Palm (I only have PocketPCs), however if we assume that TomTom for Palm is similar to TomTom Navigator for PocketPC and the TomTom GO range, then we may be able to offer you useful pointers if not actual help. Thumbs Up

Whilst a card reader/writer is not essential, it is useful for transfer large files e.g. new maps. However you haven’t got one yet so let’s try a different tack.

Do you have a way of connecting the Palm to your PC or Mac?
If you do, can you see any folders on the Palm or its storage card that are called GB Map or similar?
If the answer is yes to the above then you should be OK. You need .OV2 and .BMP files for each section of the camera database that you wish to install on your system.

Have a read through the following guides, whilst they’re written for the PocketPC and the GO range they should help you:

Arrow The beginner’s guide to the PocketGPSWorld camera database.
This explains about the different camera types and about categories and subcategories, so that you can decide how you want the database on your unit.

Depending on whether you have TomTom Navigator on a Pocket PC or TomTom GO, please read either:

Arrow How to install (camera database) POIs to TomTom Navigator 5.
This guide explains how to load the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto a Pocket PC running TomTom Navigator 5.

Arrow How to install (camera database) POIs onto a TomTom GO, Rider, or One.
This guide explains how to load the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto your TomTom GO, Rider, or One.

The above guides may look lengthy and complicated when first seen. However if you grab a cup of coffee and read each one thoroughly then they should make sense as they have been written in a step-by-step way, for ease of reading.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
RobWalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert. Thumbs Up

This is the confusing part - no one seems to know who to do it for Palm OS - even though there are more Palm OS devices out there than any other. Confused

The main problem I have, is that I can't see the card as a seperate location, so unfortunatley I can not see the directories on the card, and as I understand it I need to be able to place the .ov2 and .bmp files in the \great britain directorty.

Palm uses an install tool that comes with the palm desktop s/w to transfer files to the PDA. You can specify PDA or SD card, but not a directory. The SD card is just viewed as one big bucket of storage and any app just finds it's own files on there and runs ok. I've never had any problems with any other app - ever !

I have also tried using Windows explorer whilst the PDA was attached via USB, but I can't see the card to be able to cut and paste.

I can't be the only guy ever to have tried to install this to a PALM OS run PDA - Please help ! I can't take it anymore ! Crying
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RobWalker,

RobWalker wrote:
The main problem I have, is that I can't see the card as a seperate location, so unfortunatley I can not see the directories on the card

OK that will make things a bit harder, but we’ll have another go!

RobWalker wrote:
and as I understand it I need to be able to place the .ov2 and .bmp files in the \great britain directorty.

That’s correct.

RobWalker wrote:
Palm uses an install tool that comes with the palm desktop s/w to transfer files to the PDA. You can specify PDA or SD card, but not a directory. The SD card is just viewed as one big bucket of storage and any app just finds it's own files on there and runs ok. I've never had any problems with any other app - ever !

I’ve had a looking in my Great_Britain_Plus-Map folder, which is the same as the Great_Britain-Map folder for this experiment. The following files are in the map folder:

Great_Britain.cfg
Great_Britain_Plus-Map.cfg
POI.DAT
CLINE.DAT

Can you see any of the above files, and if so where do you see them?

Can you try to create a POI category, call it “Robs Test” or something? This is done by:
Change preferences | Manage POI | Add POI Category

You might (if we’re lucky) find that the Palm install tool will place the .OV2 and .BMP files in the correct place, ready for you to use them.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
RobWalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your reply and assistance.

No I can't see those files anywhere.

I have tried creating a new POI and calling it speed cameras. But the only icon it seemed to offer me was the default one already in the list - it didn't look like the one I'd moved to the SD card via the install tool.

But sadly the tom tom app seem unaware that the speed cam dbase or the bmp file is on the SD card.

I've also tried installing the .bmp file directly to the PDA, no difference, but for some reason it won't let me install the .ov2 file to the PDA -maybe because it does not recognise the file type (it tells me there are no applications on the PDA that support it) so it only lets me put it one the SD card).

Maybe there is a bit of middleware that sits on the PDA to link the 2 together?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RobWalker,

This topic has been irritating me, so I had a look through TomTom’s own website, and I may have found the answer:

How do I install Points of Interest on my palmOne Tungsten T3?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related topic

What exactly is the "lifetime subscription to speed cameras"? Is it Tom Tom's own cameras - in which case that "lifetime sub" costs you 60euros a year.

Or is it, as is more likely, PDAMods offering the database on this site as some sort of free extra in contravention of the terms and conditions of this site and therefore in breach of copyright? If so it would not be the first time they have been caught doing that.

Another problem you have is that if it is this site's database you are going to have to start paying for it from next month.

I suggest you may want to contact PDAMods and ask them how they are going to fulfill their contractual obligation to you to provide you with this "lifetime subscription".
RobWalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I am this morning a very happy bunny indeed. :D

I saw in my inbox that there was another response on the forum and clicked the link like a flash. I have been itching to download Pilot Install and try it out since I read the instructions, but only managed to get round to doing it last night, just before my journey home..... Driving .......and hey, guess what? IT WORKS A TREAT !! Thumbs Up and now I'm Bouncing

So no more talking to the 'what's Palm OS?' tech support at PDAMODS... Stop it! and if they try and start charging me for the database then they've got another thing coming. Gun Shoot Out

Can't thank you enough Robert. Not Worthy Me Me Me Clap

Think I over did it on the emoticons?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobWalker wrote:
Hi Robert,
and if they try and start charging me for the database then they've got another thing coming. Gun Shoot Out

Its not PDAMODS that are going to start charging you for the database, because it is not theirs to charge for. I think you will find that it is this site's database that PDAMODS have "sold" you. That is at present free, but from next month onwards it will cost you (look in the first page of the first sticky on the camera forum to see why and how much).

Your argument is still with PDAMODS. They may have tried to "sell" you something they did not own, i.e. a camera database. If so they are in breach of their contract with you to provide updates free for life. I suggest you go back to them and ask them how they are going to do that from now onwards.
RobWalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already on the case - I have sent an email to them this morning condeming their lack of ability to offer support and also in being able to trouble shoot a problem - they could quite easily have done what I did and I would have thought the support offered was top notch. Still, I did tell them how to resolve the issue (copied the link you sent me) so they could perhaps add it to their, and I use this term very loosly, knowledge base.

In terms of the cost, I have also asked them to confirm that they will supply this FOC, as it looks like they have used the PocketGPS world database.

I will let you know what their response is. If they don't confirm that they will continue to offer it FOC then I'll take them to court. Angry
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RobWalker,

RobWalker wrote:
I am this morning a very happy bunny indeed.

Excellent news! Thumbs Up
Especially as I’ve never picked up a Palm PDA, let alone used TomTom on one. ;)

RobWalker wrote:
Can't thank you enough Robert.

No need for thanks, as that what these forums are for. However if you do see any incorrect information in the PocketGPSWorld camera database then please let us know, together with a correction for the error. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
RobWalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm, for those that are interested, PDAMODS have sent me an email comfirming that they will supply me Free of Charge, the speed camera database every month.

Time will tell.....
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to know what the owners of this database think about that proposal - I would suggest it will be a breach of their copyright? Still if they get away with it perhaps none of us will have to pay the £19 per year if we speak nicely to PDAMODS!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be seeking an explanation from PDAMods. I suspect they will have to withdraw that promise.
RobWalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Did you get anywhere with PDAMods on that subject?

Also I recently sent them an email asking why I had not received an update to the database (only had one database file sent since decmeber, and they did say they send them out every month).

Their response was that there had been no updates to the database this year.

Is that correct?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: