Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom navigator 5 vs tomtom mobile 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom navigator 5 vs tomtom mobile 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delboi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Tomtom navigator 5 vs tomtom mobile 5 Reply with quote

Hi, about a year ago I decided i wanted to get on the GPS bandwagon, at that time tomtom 300 was about £349, after a little thinking I decided to go the PDA route as I can use PDA for other things as well as GPS (well that was the intention anyway), well after buying everything the total cost ended up being £400, ok so i got a bit carried away!
Arkon mount with build in GPS receiver - £100
Dell Axim X30 (624mhz) - £220
car mounting solution - £30
Tomtom navigator 5 - just the s/w from ebay, about £50 (nope i wasnt ripped off, it was a genuine copy without the receiver)

Thing is I never use my PDA for anything other then GPS, is a bit of a waste, I take my phone with me everywhere and the smartphones are not too bad a price, so basically my question is does tomtom mobile do the same job and work as well as tomtom navigator 5?.
I feel like i've made a big mistake, even if I sell all my gear its likely it'll only go for about £200, I dont really see any advantages of having a PDA as opposed to a smartphone now in terms of GPS.

Sorry for the long post!.

:D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will really depend upon the type of phone you want to purchase, if it is running WM2003SE or WM2003 then TTN will load up and work perfectly OK (examples of this type of device can be found in my sig at the bottom of this post) - if you want to use a smaller "smart phone" type device i.e. non PDA type then you can still use the maps from the software you have, users have reported that the application when downloaded from TT will activate, have a search on the topic for further information, just one word of warning though not all smart phones will run TT though check there site for compatability - Mike
delboi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I better stick with the PDA for a while, otherwise i'll lose about £200 not to mention the cost of a new phone, I dont really NEED one, just seemed handy to have, ah well lesson learnt for next time.

I guess I was just trying to make myself feel better thinking I had made the right decison!.

Thx for the reply Smile
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go down the all n one route and bought a combined PDA and phone running PPC2003 OS. It is very good, but if you didn't use the the PDA before it is probably more than you want. You can now buy my model (Ipaq 6340) for £200 ish on ebay and your TT5 will work on it. You will still need a mount and sat nav receiver. however if you are also going to fit a car kit you can do what I did nad get a combined BT car kit and sat nav receiver - not cheap (£140 ish without fitting) but good. That way you can use the mute function on your car audio for both phone and sat nav instructions. You will then just need a powered mount for charging the Ipaq - I have the Brodit which cost about £35 ish.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
fleurdelyes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Mobile Phone sat nav... Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently took the decision to buy a mobile phone that takes the mobile Tom Tom software. I decided to go on the '3' network and get a free Nokia 6680. I then purchsed the BT GPS receiver and a mount for the phone. The software for the Tom Tom I managed to get from a mate and the increased card. The whole package cost me ....£75. I'm well chuffed with it. I also have a Navman 630 which is excellent but not mobile as it needs to be permanently plugged into the ciggie lighter.

It's a very good way to get sat nav on the cheap. 8)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please do not discuss illegal activities here.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
fleurdelyes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What illegal activities ??
fleurdelyes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
please do not discuss illegal activities here.

Hi,

If you mean the software... My mate changed his system and gave me the software..... You shouldn't be so quick to point fingers m8
delboi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea about the contract phone Smile
I never really looked into those contracts cos I only use my home phone mainly, mobile is just for emergencies most of the time however if contract is cheap enough it can be worth it.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly the same thing, I had TomTom5 on a PDA but found that all the PDA was doing was sitting in the car doing nothing inbetween me needing to navigate somewhere, seemed a bit of a waste.

When the chance came to upgrade my phone I got a Nokia 3230, sold my PDA with TomTom installed on it and bought the TomTom Mobile 5 package. It's true that the screen is smaller but in my car it doesn't really matter so much, and it's less distracting. Of course the big advantage is that I now have TomTom with me wherever I go as it's on my phone. It's useful even without the GPS receiver as it's a map of the UK in itself.

The only thing I would say is that the loudspeaker on the phone is a bit too quiet, plus it doesn't have the speed dependent volume control that the TomTom ONE has,, maybe in the next software version.

Ideally I would have the likes of a TomTom GO permanently mounted in the car, but it would just get stolen Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: