Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IPAQ & GPS problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IPAQ & GPS problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swamp_donkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: IPAQ & GPS problems Reply with quote

Hello,

Well, I bought a Qstarz 32 channel bluetooth GPS receiver yesterday from ebay (for no apparent reason - just seemed like a good idea at the time)

It arrived this morning and I can't seem to get it working. If someone could help I would really appreciate it. (If anyone has any diagrams showing the differnce between arse and elbow, that might help me)

Here's what happened :-

1. Drank a few cans of finest cooking lager and thought "I know, I'll buy a GPS receiver and hook it up to my IPAQ2210 so that I can have a fancy sat nav system in the car" (that's literally how long I thought about it)

2. Bought the Qstarz BT-Q880 from ebay. Arrived the next morning

3. Switched on the GPS (Blue flashing LED indicated that bluetooth was active). Switched on bluetooth on the IPAQ. Went into Bluetooth Manager. Selected Tools_Paired Devices.

Clicked ADD, Browsed for the device. Selected it, then entered the passcode of "0000". Paired successfully. Selected New_Connect_Explore a bluetooth device. Selected the device, then selected SPP (in the service selection box). Bingo - shortcut created.

5. Tested shortcut - Seemed to work OK

6. Celebrated by having cheese on toast

7. Installed the very naughty copy of tom tom 5 that someone gave me a while back. Yeah, I know it's bad and I'll go to hell and all that, but before I spend big money I want to make sure the software is OK. If I could get a free demo without any functionality restrictions then I'd do that.

8. (I'm doing this bit from memory now) Went into Prefernces on tom tom 5 and selected Bluetooth device. Tried all of the options but still kept getting the "No GPS device" message.

9. Gave it up as a bad job. Uninstalled tom tom. Installed some trial GPS software from http://www.mapopolis.com. Let this software auto-detect the com port and baud rate (not that I know what this means, or why I did it). Still no GPS device detected.

10) Tried removing the pairing and shortcut on the IPAQ. Had no end of problems trying to set it up again. Wouldn't even see the GPS using bluetooth for hours (not sure what all that's about). Eventually got it set up again. repeated the above process (without the cheese on toast though). Still no joy

Anyway, I've no idea what to do next. I've been "googling" my head off for the last few hours but can't seem to sort the problem.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Sorry for the long post

Cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some Lea and Perins sauce with the cheese and toast, please don't expect answers on here pertaining to illegal software - Mike
swamp_donkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

(Already tried the Lea and Perrins - didn't help)

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I've given up trying to get the naughty software working.

What I really wanted to know was if there is some really basic free software that you recommend I download just to see if the GPS is working or not ?

or

some advice about if I had paired the ruddy thing properly

Thanks

Swampy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the early TomTom GPS driver software from this site its in the downloads section http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=13 vs2,06 this should work with the device assuming the GPS is connected to the PDA via the Bluetooth SPP mode (which you mentioned above) - in the application use the setting NMEA 0183v2 Bluetooth, select the relevent outgoing comm port and check the blue/ grey box top LH, in the status screen you should see your present position displayed, make sure the unit has a clean line of sight to the sky, i.e. outdoors - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: