Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - sd cards for tt300 size and speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

sd cards for tt300 size and speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightcourier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: sd cards for tt300 size and speed Reply with quote

hi
let me just say i am new here but really enjoying the wealth of knowledge available both here and a couple of other sites i have found in links.
I have a tt go 300 and want to get a bigger sd card. can anybody say if there will be any noticeable read speeds between say a 256 and a 512mb card. having just read computer shopper march 2006 feature on cards i see that the 'Integral' hi-speed SD came out on top with the fastest read speeds. i reckoned the delete speed would not be a priority for the card. not a bad price for the 512mb either. do i need a warranty over 5yrs. does anybody think it would be worth shelling out a bit more and upgrade from 66x quoted speed to 133x. i am worried that the bigger card will slow down the map reading and directions. cheers for ur comments
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be better off posting this in the TomTom forum, instead of the Garmin one... :P
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
You might be better off posting this in the TomTom forum, instead of the Garmin one... :P

indeed Smile

moved...
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: sd cards for tt300 size and speed Reply with quote

nightcourier wrote:
hi

I have a tt go 300 and want to get a bigger sd card. can anybody say if there will be any noticeable read speeds between say a 256 and a 512mb card. having just read computer shopper march 2006 feature on cards i see that the 'Integral' hi-speed SD came out on top with the fastest read speeds. i reckoned the delete speed would not be a priority for the card. not a bad price for the 512mb either. do i need a warranty over 5yrs. does anybody think it would be worth shelling out a bit more and upgrade from 66x quoted speed to 133x. i am worried that the bigger card will slow down the map reading and directions. cheers for ur comments

I have got a KIngston 256Mb in mine, cost £11.something on Amazon, its fine, I see now its 10.75.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008SCFU/

or cheaper if you buy from one of their associated stores (though usually they then add a fiver for P&P so it alwys comes to about the same. I was buying other stuff anyway so didnt have to pay for the postage. You'll find a similar story in eBay, cards for 99p but the P&P and insurance is a tenner :-)

FWIW your basic assumption about there being differences in speeds between 256 and 512 is incorrect, different cards will have different speeds, but a 512 might be faster thana 256 or the other way round, it depends on the vendor and the type of card. You certainly dont need to spend over the odds to get a faster speed, it will be wasted.

I wouldnt worry about a 5 year warranty either, though I note the Kingston comes with a 'limited' lifetime warranty anyway. In the first place you are extremely unlikely to be using a TT in 5 years time,and secondly how much do you reckon a 256 or 512 Mb card will cost then? £1?

Not sure what you are planning to put on your 300, but IMHO a 512Mb card is overkill, the 256Mb in mine has enough room left for anything else you would ever want to put on it, and if you bought extra maps I think they come on their own card?

HTH

Tumbleweed
nightcourier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: right Reply with quote

right ok :D

i am getting lost in the forums. took me ages to find my message.
so u have moved the message for me? cheers i will try to find it

ta nightcourier
gazza1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of card depends on what you want to do with it. If its just to make room for more voices and POIs then a 256mb card is enough. If you want to add another map then you will be better off going for the 512mb card, more than 1 map then a 1gb card. The 66x speed is plenty fast enough. The bigger cards are not going to be any slower than the smaller cards. I use a 2gb Sandisk Ultra II with all the MOWE on it and it is faster than the original TT one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: