Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One on motorcycle plus NZ maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One on motorcycle plus NZ maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ausbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: TomTom One on motorcycle plus NZ maps? Reply with quote

I have just today purchased a TomTom One which I plan to use on two motorbikes and a occasionally in a car. I would expect that these units are quite sturdy and I shouldn't experience any problems caused by a little vibration and road shock when mounted to a bike.

I appreciate that this model is not water resistant and I will need to take precautions there. But hey, I ride in Australia and rain is not something we very often experience Smile

Also, is it known when maps might be available for New Zealand?

ausbiker
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom One on motorcycle plus NZ maps? Reply with quote

ausbiker wrote:
I have just today purchased a TomTom One which I plan to use on two motorbikes and a occasionally in a car. I would expect that these units are quite sturdy and I shouldn't experience any problems caused by a little vibration and road shock when mounted to a bike.

I appreciate that this model is not water resistant and I will need to take precautions there. But hey, I ride in Australia and rain is not something we very often experience Smile

Also, is it known when maps might be available for New Zealand?

ausbiker

Were you aware at the TT Rider which is aimed at bikers?

Tw
aimless
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot dearer though tom tom one does same job but it aint waterproof but like the guy says who needs waterproof
ausbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response guys.

Yes, I am aware of the Rider but at $1300 (Australia) way too expensive when the One at $750 will do the same job if kept from getting soaked.

Now, if only I could get maps for New Zealand.
glennk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use my 'One' on my motorcycle. In my humble opinion it is a far more cost efective and suitable device than the 'Rider'. The rider is far to expensive and has no speaker or external antenna socket so is not a god option if you want to use it in more than one vehicle.

Suffice to say, the 'One' works flawlessly on my bike and is mounted using a combination of 'Brodit' (http://www.brodit.com/?main=productinformation.jsp&anr=215103 ) cradle and the 'Ram' (http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/) mounting system. I feed the audio output from the 'One' into my Starcom intercom and have the car charger wired into the bike to supply power.

As far as waterproofing goes, I use a freezer/food bag secured at the bottom with a clip. Sounds naff, but has serverd me well for two years on my PDA.

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't help with maps of NewZealand! (Try asking TomTom).

Regards,

Glenn
ausbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the reassurance that I made the right decision in purchasing the "One".

I found it very easy to mount on my FJR yesterday. I located a piece of flat aluminium "strap" in my workshop, cut it to length, drilled a hole in each end, bent it in two places and slipped one end under one of the two bolts that hold the front of my fuel tank. The small piece of the supplied mounting kit that the "One" slides onto, is attached to the other end. I have the sound wired to my helmet via an Autocom system. I was able to test it on the road using the TomTom's internal battery power. Works great! I have a BMW type power socket on my bike, so now I'm looking for an adaptor that will accept the cigarette lighter type plug supplied with the "One".

I won't use the "One" in my car very often but when I do, it shouldn't take much more than five minutes to swap it over.

Regarding the NZ maps, yes I'll contact TomTom.

Thanks again...

Dennis (ausbiker)
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis
I hope you wander all the FJR forums where there is a wealth of info on powering gps's and lots of other farkles for the bike and yes powerlet do do a convertor from cig to powerlet

and welcome to this forum ,enjoy
CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
ausbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
dennis
I hope you wander all the FJR forums where there is a wealth of info on powering gps's and lots of other farkles for the bike and yes powerlet do do a convertor from cig to powerlet

and welcome to this forum ,enjoy
CoPilot

I used to live on FJROwners.com but haven't been there recently. Must get back and see what I can find on gps's.

Thanks for the Powerlet adaptor tip.

And thanks for the welcome! :D
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to hear a couple of others are

www.fjrforum.com

and of course the fjowners club
www.fjclub.co.uk

CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: