Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M5000 GPS Probs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M5000 GPS Probs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little_Old_Me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: M5000 GPS Probs Reply with quote

Well I read all the threads and got TomTom 5 to run on my M5000 (Well chuffed with myself Laughing Out Loud).

Anyways I now need a GPS receiver but the Bluetooth in my car is used for my Hands Free kit so I need a wired one. I have a Mini USB port on my M5000 so does anyone know where I can get a TomTom compatible GPS mouse with a miin USB plug on or if I can use a Mini to standard USB adapter with a normal one? I have asked a few sellers about the adapter and they all say "Maybe". Any ideas peeps.....

BTW The M5000 is the same as O2 XDA Exec.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini port will not work with a wired GPS you need to use a Bluetooth device, don't wory about using the BT for GPS and Headset it will work fine - it does on my Exec - Mike
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Could you please clarify how this works, because I thought bluetooth could only connect to one device?

I have an 02 exec with a Nokia bluetooth handsfree car kit. They work OK together.

The existing installation has a wired TomTom GPS receiver (originally for an Ipaq 2210), so I'll need to get a bluetooth GPS, but I had held off buying one because of my concerns that the exec couldn't deal with bluetooth GPS and bluetooth handsfree simultaneously.

I notice the only active cradle for the exec is made by Brodit (handnav), but this holds the exec in landscape mode. I know TomTom can be rotated to suit, but does it work well in this mode? - I'd have thought portrait would be better...

I also have a concern that the phone screen would come out sideways when on the Brodit mount unless I always remember to rotate it before use... do you have any thoughts on that?

Many thanks for any advice...

r.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limit for devices connected via BT is seven in theory, I use the Exec with hands free headset, and at times I have connected two different GPS units again via BT, also the Virtual Keyboard and it all works - not practical but did it to see what would happen, as for the Brodit its a great bit of kit, and TT in landscape works fine, although you can rotate to the other mode if you prefer it this way - the Exec will auto rotate the screen dependent upon the position of the screen and this will set the phone applet to display correctly in either mode - I use te Brodit tilt and swivel mount but allways have the device in landscape - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPC will support multiple BT connections, although I think you will have some difficulty if you are trying to connect two using ther same protocol, for example using two headset protocols at the same time. I am told that Palm devices will not support multiple BT connections, no matter what protocol you use.

Parrot CK3300 is a combined BT car kit and sat nav receiver, but uses two different connections at the same time to talk to my Ipaq. They works very well together because they are designed to. The problem you may have with seperates is when both the phone bit and the sat nav bit want to run the PDA at the same time
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
.... Brodit its a great bit of kit, and TT in landscape works fine, although you can rotate to the other mode if you prefer it this way - the Exec will auto rotate the screen dependent upon the position of the screen and this will set the phone applet to display correctly in either mode ... - Mike

Thanks for the info, Mike. But could you expand on the quote about "auto rotate" a bit further - my concern is that with the exec folded with the screen outside, and in "horizontal" orientation to fit in the brodit, all applications will be in portrait mode unless I hit the screen rotate icon a couple of times to go to landscape. Or is there some other mechanism that puts it in landscape mode?

Thanks,

r.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
The problem you may have with seperates is when both the phone bit and the sat nav bit want to run the PDA at the same time
I have the TomTom audio from the Exec speakers, the phone audio when required uses the headset the phone will auto mute the TomTom directions which can catch you out - I have never tried two headsets at the same time so can't comment on that but two independent GPS units both using SPP mode worked when I tried it, one feeding Memory map and the other for TomTom, this isn't required by the way, I just tried it to se what would happen. Mike
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. I'm really pleased with the Exec/Brodit combination, used in "laptop" configuration. I've gone for the Holux 236 GPS, which is incredibly sensitive compared with anything I've used previously.

I had read somewhere that TomTom is sluggish in landscape mode, but can't honestly confirm this. Today I ran it alongside an ipaq 2210 and the exec in landscape was actually quicker at lining up after a sharp turn, although that might be down to sd card performance or the GPS in use.

One thing though - I had hoped that the Holux would turn on/off with the car ignition but it doesn't (I have posted separately on this subject). I noticed you also use the Holux - do you find ignition switching works, or do you switch it on/off manually?

Thanks,

richard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never actually used the ignition on/off feature, I prefer not to leave expensive hardware in the vehicle, so the unit is in my pocket when I am not in the car - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: