Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - a201 connecting to internet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

a201 connecting to internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helen123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: a201 connecting to internet Reply with quote

can anyone please offer me some advice. I don't have a clue how to connect to the internet on my pda? i know i have two ways of doing it right?one via my mobile phone and one via my home wireless router. However i don;t understand it exactly. firstly, my router is for my wireless connection on my laptop (centrino) so how does my pda manage to connect to the internet through this?do i need to purchase an additional hardware? is this the wifi sd card of a bluetooth acess point?

another question is, which setting do i click on my pda within bluetooth manager? i was reading the manual and it mentions using "dial up to the internet" and then need to enter phone number? huh? what phone number?

sorry for all these questions...im very confused....thanks:)
helen123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, is another method also by buyying a bluetooth acess point? can i have both my orginal router and bluetooth access point?thanks
helen123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh...kinda know what im doin now...decided using my mobile as a modem to connect to the internet....just about completion. at the end what do i put in the user name, password and domain? where can i obtain these information? surely someone knows...thanks
helen123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im with t-mobile
helen123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please any1......why is it that this forum, you get no replies? anyways...i really hope someone can help me please

in bluetooth manager do i select " dial up to internet" or " explore a bluetooth device"?

when select modem i have choice of:
generic IrDA
Hayes Compatible on COM1
IVT BT Modem VCOM7
IVT BT Modem VCOM8
IVT BT Modem VCOM9

which do i select?

after i press next, i need to dial a number i keyed in: *99#

for username: user
for password: wap

then i click advanced and unticked "wait for dial tone before dialing"

also typed in "+cgdcont =1,"ip","general.t-mobile.uk"

and clicked ok and finish.

i can send picture messages.
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the spectec wifi card and can use that to connect to any available wireless network which gets me straight to the internet. I have been surprised how many unsecured networks there are out there which means if you wanted you could use lots of other peoples networks to access the web.
For your specific questions, I will give my understanding which may or may not be correct.
When you are connected to your PC then if the PC is connected to the web, your pda can use the same connection. I can confirm that when wired using the USB cable this does work. I haven't been able to sync using bluetooth which should give the same access as when wired. Provided that you have bluetooth capability on your PC then you should be able to sync without any other hardware.
Using the bluetooth connection to a mobile then as far as I know you will have to dial up to an ISP and connect with whatever settings your ISP requires. This means you cannot use your broadband connection but is useful if you are away from home (I wouldn't bank on a very quick connection).
I am no expert on this stuff so if someone else knows better then please speak up.
helen123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks.....i didn;t know you can connect via your usb cable...Laughing Out Loud.......can i ask? because you got a wifi card.......how can i tell the speed on it and where can i buy one from? because i can't seem to find one:(

one more question....do you know when i surf the internet on my phone....theres just a few text and a few sites avaible. but when im using my pda to go on line and can view all pages...so, my question is.......if i was to use my mobile as an modem and surf in internet using my pda....will i have all access to websites?thanks
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card I have is rated for 802.11b so max would be 11mbs but I don't think the device supports that kind of speed. I don't really know what speed but you can probably get the specs. online.
I bought from Expansys online as they had in stock and the price was OK. There are other wifi cards available and from other retailers but mostly online ones as I haven't found them in the shops. The spectec card is handy because it is so small. It only sticks out from the device by about 4-5mm whereas other cards seem to be 5-10mm longer still. This probably has an effect on it's efficiency as the bit that sticks out is the antennae as far as I know.
Using a mobile as a modem should allow full access to the web but the restriction with the pda is the screen size and therefore what you can actually view. I understand that download speed via a standard mobile is also restricted but again I am not certain about this.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good shop around for WiFi cards.

I have a Safecom card which was only £25 new from the link below & I belive this card is the best price you can find for a new card.

If you get one then download the latest driver & utilty from Safecom's website.

I have been using this card on a Mio 168 for months now & it works as sweet as a nut.

http://www.usbtech.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/11/products_id/327?osCsid=39620e7aa9b0da5b0cff9834966230c9

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: