Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updates from TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updates from TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slartybardfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Updates from TomTom Reply with quote

I really am impressed with the TomTom One as my first Satnav. Highly recommended to all you undecideds.

However, I went to their support site to find there was newer software available (ver 5.42)and see there are memory problems. The update wants you to delete a voice to create space. What a nonsense.

Anyway I eventually weeded it out of their sheepish IT helpdesk that they only use a 128MB card. Given the fact for around £3 more you can get a 512MB card I find this astounding. As loads of institutions are producing POI for satnav it becomes even more foolish.

A larger card would allow thousands of POI to answer anothers question on how many on the ONE (unless it's a software thing - in which case I am wrong).

Well I wrote to TomTom and await their reply. I said I would be reporting back to you guys as you helped me decide on ONE

......to be continued (which film?)

s
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Updates from TomTom Reply with quote

slartybardfast wrote:

A larger card would allow thousands of POI to answer anothers question on how many on the ONE (unless it's a software thing - in which case I am wrong).

Only 39 user POI categories can be added using present generation software. Add any more to the card and they are simply ignored.

There is a very good reason for the 128Mb card.....

They(as in TomTom)'re cheap!
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Updates from TomTom Reply with quote

slartybardfast wrote:
I really am impressed with the TomTom One as my first Satnav. Highly recommended to all you undecideds.

However, I went to their support site to find there was newer software available (ver 5.42)and see there are memory problems. The update wants you to delete a voice to create space. What a nonsense.

Anyway I eventually weeded it out of their sheepish IT helpdesk that they only use a 128MB card. Given the fact for around £3 more you can get a 512MB card I find this astounding. As loads of institutions are producing POI for satnav it becomes even more foolish.

s

I'd be interested to know the place where you can buy, same make, same spec, a 512MB card for only £3 more than a 128Mb card.

The answer as to why itsa 128Mb card is obvious, its profit. Dont forget the cost to TT of putting a bigger card in. At high volume your £3 (or more) per unit costs soon add up to millions. having said that I'm sure newer units will start coming out with 256Mb cards just as soon as the price of those has fallen, and/or they feel competitive pressure to do so.

Tw

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: