Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony NV-U50 NV-U50T NVU50 NVU50T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony NV-U50 NV-U50T NVU50 NVU50T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobHyland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Sony NV-U50 NV-U50T NVU50 NVU50T Reply with quote

Hi
I'm new to GPS
Just considering the New Sony NV-U50
They also do a NV-U50T that has built in RDS TCM
Is this just a gimic????
The idea is it knows of traffic hold ups ahead by listening to RDS traffic info (I'm not sure if it gets Trafficmaster info as well from the cameras you see on many bridges etc?) & diverts you around them, but if traffic is say rush hour, then sending you round the back streets won't help as they will be just as buisy - & the system won't know this as traffic reports don't take account of back streets - anyone had any experiance of this system on other GPS's? - is it worth the extra cost buying the unit & also is it free or (As Trafficmaster) is there an anual charge to be paid for the service?
Kind Regards
Rob Smile
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it can listen to RDS traffic messages and understand them. It would be an interesting bit of software that had that level of voice recognition (and recognition of local geography). It may listen to the TCS system (think that is the name) that is broadcast by (again from memory) Classic FM????? This issues (free) traffic alerts digitally (rather than by voice) in a form that can be recognised by sat nav systems. It may also, as you say, use the Traffic Master system

Not sure where they the TCS system gets its info from but others may be able to tell you how good it and the Trafficmaster system is.
RobHyland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: RDS-TCM Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Peter
I have found this site that may be of interest, gives a little more info but still doesn't answer my question of if its free or not & worth having or just a gimic
http://www.itisholdings.com/

These seem to be the people that run the TCM service?
Regards
Rob Smile
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob that sounds like the people. More popular in mailand Europe. Over hear only brodacast by Classic FM unless some recent new ones have come in.

Have heard not very good reports suggesting that data is late and not very accurate. It is often fitted in car makers OEM systems (as the photo suggests). May want to put a query into the forum dealing with those to see if you get any replies. I know that VAG systems (VW, Audi, Skoda Seat) use them so could also try posting at a forum for those cars.
RobHyland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, Thanks Peter
Re the Sony by the way, its a cracking unit in so much as the display is very crisp & drag searching is smoother & eisier than a TomTom 500 I borrowed, but there is one downfall I've found upto yet:-
You cannot enter a full postcode (only the firts 4 digits or the town)
then on next field you enter the road & the house number
This is fine as long as there is only one road of that name in that town, and all the houses are numbered, if its a long country lane & your after a farm or named house - it gets you to the lane only, then its down to asking - There may be a way as I'm new to all this, but its very easy to use & there is no obvious way to change this.
Also I'm not sure yet if it will work with the speed (opps saftey) camera database.
Regards
Rob Smile
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What software is the unit using? It may well be a known "make", in which case you could also post a question in their forum.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
What software is the unit using? It may well be a known "make", in which case you could also post a question in their forum.

It doesn't look like anything I've seen before.
RobHyland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: SONY NEW UNIT Reply with quote

Apparently its Sonys own GPS Chip
Uses NAVTEQ maps http://www.navteq.com
The softare thet comes with it loads Microsost Active Sync
Explored the folders within (With hidden folders/files showing)
No POI folder - Not sure what to expect though - haven't had time to play much (Buisy decorating & only had this unit the other day - Just released by Sony - thought as its new I'd check it out - We sell Sony products so I could get one to trial - www.hylands.tv)
Had a good read of instructions from CD (While 1st coat of paint drying) & no mention of Postcodes to pinpoint destination or importing extra POI's
Shame if it cannot be done as it has some really good points
Thanks again
Regards
Rob :-)

Oh well - time for another coat of paint I suppose Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: